Have any of you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have any of you?

Used old acrylic blankets for batting. I have some very nice soft blankets but they are for double beds. I sure wish I could still buy blankets like these. Any way they are taking up space and I was thinking I could use them in some quilts. Any ideas out there. Thanks in advance.

Re: Have any of you?

I have a couple times. They worked out fine and the quilts held up well.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I cut up one blanket to use with the U-shaped travel pillows, one side blankie and other side cotton.. (winter/summer) for the face. I think I made something like 8 of them that one year. The cotton side was with using their favorite college/pro teams. They loved the other side being soft and warm. Just a thought if you have some left over from the quilt project.

Comment

I haven't used them on my quilts but use them a lot for the PURR cat pads. They are often donated to the shelters so I can get them for free to use as batting for my quilted cat mats.
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

When I was a teenager and my Aunt and Grandmother taught me how to make quilts we used army wool blankets that they bought from the second hand store. I never heard of batting until after I retired and started taking classes. Those quilts were very warm and held up well.

And I used a fleece blanket for a queen size quilt for my oldest boy when he was in college. He somehow managed to fit his queen size bed into his fraternity house bedroom. How he got a room to himself I will never know. But I wanted to make a quilt that could take a lot of abuse and still be warm and cuddly. I used flannel for the top and backing and he could not get over how soft it was.
          Vonnie

Comment

My only concern is that they won't shrink, whereas any cotton you use will. Just be sure you've preshrunk that cotton.

Comment

I used all my old blankets as quilt fillers 30 years ago and they are still being used. Some of them had holes so I doubled them up. They work very nicely and repurpose your old blankets giving them new life. by all means, make use of them
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

Oh wow what a wonderful group of responses and ideas. Now all I have to do is get my sewing room back together.
                I couldn't see any reason one could not use the blankets. I think it would be great when quilting as it would give you latitude as to how close you had to quilt. Thanks for all the wonderful responses!

Comment

Current project is putting a new quilt top onto the back of a bedspread. The top contains squares from my husband's childhood sheets and the bedspread was on his childhood bed.

Have extra sheet and bedspread (it was 90 x 106 and was cut to fit current master bed) to make a baby blanket to tuck away for a grandchild.
                  Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                  http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

It should work fine and be very warm. Batting comes in big pieces like a blanket so it makes sense a blanket would work.

When you quilt, you need your pattern to be close so you don't get puckering when it's washed. That's all I would think to advise you.
                    My quilts that I gave for Christmas I used a good flannel inside and for the back. They turned out great. Everyone loves them.

Comment

Remember to lengthen your quilt stitch! I have gone as high as 3.0 on mine using a walking foot.

On my longarm I would shorten to about a 10 and do a large meander.

Isn't it funny that on a longarm the smaller the number the larger the stitch and on a domestic it's just the opposite?!
                      Vonnie

Comment

Yep, I sure have. Sometimes blankets are cheaper than batting, and a bit thicker too!
                        Ima ditch stitcher, and I like thick quilts. Sometimes I do double layers of batting.
                        Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
                        X