Binding by machine with decorative stitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding by machine with decorative stitches

I noticed several of you mentioned in a response to an earlier post a few days ago, that you use a decorative stitch when attaching the binding by machine. I've tried to do that a couple of times, but it always looks like it's a little flat or something to me. Any advice on a stitch to use that works well, and what about stitch length - do you adjust the length of the stitch?

Re: Binding by machine with decorative stitches

I don't use the really decorative stitches but use the one that's just a wavy line. It's pretty forgiving and stiches up rapidly.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

This is pretty.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/220113500513260453/
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I just tried using a blanket stitch on the last quilt I finished. It worked pretty good, but I cut my binding at 2 1/4" and thought it was too narrow. I'll do my next one at 2 1/2" and blanket stitch it to see if it's better.

Comment

I like the blanket stitch. Is that on the front of the quilt or back?

Comment

Does it sufficiently hold the binding in place?

Comment

I use a zig zag and am usually happy with the results

Comment

Jenny uses the Serpentine stitch in some of her tutorials.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by kjohnson View Post
                  I like the blanket stitch. Is that on the front of the quilt or back?
                  It's on the front, but the back looks almost the same.

Comment

I have decorative stitches on my machine and have used one that looks like a feather stitch. Another favorite looks similar to the blanket stitch.

The machine also let me set the stopping point (or corner point) and adjusts length so get a full pattern stitch. In other words, you plan a little so you don't end with only half of the pattern stitched.

Generally, I test and play with samples of stitch width and length since each quilt is different. I used a 3.0 length and a regular stitch on the last quilt as that was the quickest. Decorative stitches take longer to finish.

Comment

I use a straight stitch with the length at 3.0. I do SITD on the front & it catches it on the back. I seldom use any of my decorative stitches because they take longer & use so much more thread.

Comment

My new machine has all these wonderful decorative stitches and some of them are in the quilting section. I used one on a binding last time and was pretty impressed with myself. My straight stitching isn't always straight and this was pretty forgiving.
                        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                        Terry

Comment

I used to use decorative stitches on my binding, but as JCY said, it does use a lot of thread. I now prefer the look of "magic binding" which is also done by machine, and it's quick and easy and looks like piping.
                          http://www.52quilts.com/2012/05/tues...c-binding.html

Comment

I usually use the serpentine stitch, 2 1/2" binding, sometimes adjust the width (wider) to make sure binding is fully attached. Usually I practice a little first

Comment

I use the serpentine stitch when I machine finish the binding. I prefer hand sewing the binding-sew on front, turn to back. Sometimes though I do machine stitch- time crunch usually-then I sew binding on back, fold to front and use serpentine. It seems to look better on both sides using that stitch-at least to me.
                              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Working...
                              X