Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big to make squares for half square triangles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big to make squares for half square triangles?

Hello
    I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb as far as how big to cut squares when you want to make half square triangles. Like, if I want my finished square of 2 triangles to measure 3.5", how big of a square do I start with? Or if I want a finished size of 6.5", how big do I start with?
    Thank you. I am just venturing into triangles.

Re: How big to make squares for half square triangles?

There are lots of charts out there. I usually look on Pinterest.

https://caronmosey.com/2011/06/24/se...are-triangles/
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

The standard for the 2 HSTs per square is to cut your starting squares 7/8" larger than you want the finished size to be. 6" finished HST would need 2 starting squares of 6 & 7/8ths inches.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

What Karen said. lol I think people get frustrated with getting it perfect from the start. Just make it an inch bigger and cut it down makes it easy too.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I made a spreadsheet for making HST's that might help. The way I make mine depends on how many I have to make, so this chart helt a lot. Check it out, it's a link in my signature.

Comment

Thanks for the advice - I appreciate it!
            snippet - Wow! That chart is awesome! I think I will need to study it to completely understand it. I love the pictures, that helps me a lot.

Comment

Yes the easy way is to cut your squares 1 inch bigger, sew your diaginal seams, then square up, a misleading term to a new quilter because you are actually squaring down, or trimming off the edges. Using the plus one inch method means no fiddling trying to find 7/8ths on your ruler. Which is not always easy.

Comment

Also if you have to make many hst's using the same fabric combination I use the Magic 8 hst method. I prefer to also oversized and square up after. I find that helps with my blocks going together better with a better end result. The extra time for me is worth it.

http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/20...v=7516fd43adaa

Comment

Working...
                X