Math for setting triangles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math for setting triangles

So I am making a simple flannel quilt with eight inch (finished) square patchs that I want to set on point. I found a handy chart for the measurements however I wish to use 1/2 inch seam allowance because of the flannel. The chart says to cut 12 5/8 squares for the side triangles. Do I just add an extra 1/4 inch to that to allow for the larger seam allowance? Can't seem to wrap my mind around the math. We have 2 feet of snow and I need something to do to stave off the cabin fever!! TIA

Re: Math for setting triangles

When it comes to triangles, I too am mathematically challenged. So what I did last time I cut my squares (for the side triangles) generously, and then after sewing all the rows together, trimmed off the excess. I would rather waste a few inches of fabric per square, then to waste an entire square that was to small.

A 1/4 more isn't going to be enough, at minimum I think you'll need that much for each side of the triangle (3 sides would equal 3/4 inch). But I would still go a bit bigger - square size of 13 1/2" or even 14", at least on the first block to make sure it's big enough.

You can always test it with some scrap fabrics, cut a couple of 8" blocks, then prepare your side triangles, see if they fit.

Comment

Re: Math for setting triangles

Thank you that is what I was considering as I have plenty of material.

Comment

Working...
      X