Quilt Binding using 2 1/2 inch strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Binding using 2 1/2 inch strips

Just asking some general questions about how you apply binding to your quilts.

Do you sew to front or back first?

Do you sew on with 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch seam allowance? What works for you?

Re: Quilt Binding using 2 1/2 inch strips

Front or back depends on hand or machine binding. When hand binding I stitch to the front, fold over and hand stitch to the back. For machine binding, I stitch to the back, fold over and machine stitch from the top.

My seam to attach the binding is about 3/8".
    K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

I stitch the binding to the front and then fold it over and hand stitch it on the back. If you wanted to sew it totally by machine, you'd want to stitch it on the back side first and then fold it over to the front side and stitch it by machine. I use a 1/4" seam and usually use a walking foot (or even feed foot). I'm sure no expert but this is what I do. I'm sure others will come along and may have other suggestions. Happy quilting!
      Brenda. :icon_wave:

Comment

I do the same as Karen. It works best for me.
        β€œWhat we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Same here. But my last one, I used a decorative stitch to sew the front and it looks really cool.
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

I machine sew on bindings and usually stitch on the front and fold over to the back then SITD on the front, but I'm no expert.

Comment

I machine bind everything using 2 1/4" strips and a 1/4" seam. If it's a gift quilt, I sew the binding to the front, flip it to the back and stitch in the ditch on the front to catch it on the back. If it's a utility or donation quilt, I sew it to the back, flip to the front and top-stitch it down.
              *~* Myrna *~*
              *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I machine bind, sew quarter inch on front then flip over to back, clip with wonder clips and sew stitch in the ditch from front.

Comment

I use 2 1/2 because I like a wider binding. I used to hand bind (sew to the front, hand stitch on the back) - but now I machine sew the binding to the back with 1/4" seam, flip it out, press it open, flip it to the front, wonder clip it (especially useful on the corners), and use a decorative stitch to sew it on (using a walking foot) - LOVE doing it this way - so much easier on the hands, I think it's stronger, especially for baby/kids' quilts, and faster and for me, neater because I am not a patient, neat hand stitcher!

Comment

I use 2 1/4" strips for binding and I sew the ends together diagonally. I usually sew my binding to the front and wrap it to the back and hem it by hand because I love the handwork. On smaller items I occasionally sew the whole binding by machine. In those cases, I machine sew the binding to the back and wrap it to the front and then machine stitch it down using a slightly longer stitch.
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thank you Everyone!

I made a sample for practice and liked the 3/8 inch seam. The binding lays almost equal on front & back. When I use a 1/4 inch seam one side of binding ends up bigger when folded over the edge.

Yes to the power of the walking foot and decorative stitches to hide the mistakes.

Thanks for including the info using 2 1/4 inch strips too. I am going to make a sample and try them also.

Practice...practice. Thanks!

Comment

Its really interesting to see all the different ways people work binding.

For my last two projects (placemats and a wall hanging) I've machine stiched to the back w/walking foot using 1/4" seam allowance, then press the binding away from the sesm, then carefully fold over to front & line up the edge so it overlaps the seam by about 1/8", iron it & secure with wonder clips then flip it back over & SITD - I was really happy with how well it worked! I also go fairly slow so I stay in the ditch & don't wander off too much.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryUK View Post
                          I machine sew on bindings and usually stitch on the front and fold over to the back then SITD on the front, but I'm no expert.
                          Originally posted by gshalom View Post
                          I machine bind, sew quarter inch on front then flip over to back, clip with wonder clips and sew stitch in the ditch from front.
                          I do the same. I use Elmer's washable glue to get a good miter on the corners and press the binding as I fold over to the back. I then use my stitch in the ditch walking foot.
                          Last edited by quiltsRfun; January 8, 2017, 08:39 AM.

Comment

I use 2 1/2" strips for binding. Depending on my time frame and the size of the quilt, but normally I sew on the front and flip over to the back and hand stitch. I start out with a 1/4" seam but depending on how much I pay attention to if it stays at 1/4".

Comment

My method is basically the same as Bubby's only I start with 2.5" strips.
                              If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Working...
                              X