Rag Quilt Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rag Quilt Question

My DD has moved back from Dallas. It is so wonderful to have her back home again. She has asked for a rag quilt in the past and I just haven't gotten around to making one for her although she does have a bed sized quilt and lap quilt. She said she would love to try learning to quilt so I bought her the materials and she is going to make the quilt. She does want it a little heavier and warmer than just using two layers of flannel so we are going to add a thin batting layer. I haven't made a rag quilt before so my question is should we cut the batting smaller than the flannel? She is using 10" squares and will use a 1/2" seam allowance. My question is can or should we cut the batting 9" to keep the bulk out of the seams? She will stitch the X on each square to secure the layers together and my thought process was that if the batting was not in the seam allowance then it would not shed when washed. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

I am so thrilled that she has decided to move back closer to family and wants to try her hand at sewing. Luckily I have a couple of machines and plenty of room in my sewing room to share. If she really enjoys this then after she finds her own place I think I'll be trying to find her a machine of her own.
    Ann

Re: Rag Quilt Question

I've made a number of rag quilts and one of them with flannel front/back and batting. Yes, I cut the batting 9" to cut down on the bulk. I highly recommend getting rag snipping shears to save your hand and your sanity. http://www.joann.com/fiskars-easy-ac.../14137830.html
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Comment

I agree with Alina, cut the batting smaller and use the snippers. I love making rag quilts!

Comment

Rather than batting, I just used another layer of flannel
        Happy Quilting!

Comment

Originally posted by bhaggerty View Post
          Rather than batting, I just used another layer of flannel
          I did the same and could cut all three layers the same size. Flannel in the middle frays nicely too.
          "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
          Hillary Clinton

Comment

I have used both batting and another layer of flannel. By far I liked the ones with the extra layer of flannel. If you use the batting yes cut it an inch smaller so it does not get into your seams for where you want it to fray. A little is okay in the seams but it just clumps and doesn't fray or depending on the batting gets really well weird is how my daughter put it.

I like to use old heavy flannel sheets in the middle just cut them up. You can usually find them cheap at thrift stores. I also use a contrasting color to the front and back to give the frayed edges more color. It also makes the edges more thick looking which I like. Definitely get a pair of the spring loaded rag snips they are a life saver!
            Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

If using batting, cut it an inch smaller....my preference though, to add warm, is an additional layer of flannel. It makes the frayed part thicker, while adding warmth at the same time.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the wonderful information. I think I will try and get some contrasting flannel for the middle layer. I do have rag snips that I received for my birthday last year so I could make the rag quilt that I didn't start. Funny how other quilts kept getting pushed to the front. It will be fun to help her make this one and then maybe I'll make one for myself. Of course first I have to make the other three quilts I have the fabric and patterns for. I don't think I will ever be able to make all the quilts I want to make but it sure is fun trying. Someone should have warned me how addicting this it. Oh yeah - everyone did. LOL
                Ann

Comment

I never made one but I swear I saw a tute on this, just searched Jenny's rather impressively long list, couldn't find it. Basically:
                  1. you take your squares, either 5" or 10"
                  2. Cut your batting an inch smaller
                  3. Cut your backing into pieces same as your top (again either 5 or 10")
                  4. Sandwich each block like it's a whole quilt, that is wrong sides together batting in the middle
                  5. Sew each block from corner to corner each direction. When done you will have sewed a big X on each
                  6. Lay out your rows. You will sew your blocks together using 1" seams and ALL the edges for the seam allowances will show on the topside of the quilt.
                  7. After you sew your blocks together sew the rows together the same way.
                  8. Get a special spring loaded snipper (Fiskars has one) and start snipping away. Don't cut through your seam line.
                  9. Wash and fluff dry. Check dryer screen often cause it will be FULL of lint and I am not kidding!!!!!! Don't dry the whole cycle without checking it.
                  Oh and congratulations on your daughter Moving back. The two of you will have some great times together! But you know she is gonna grumble about the cold weather right. Dallas sounds pretty good right now. The windchill here today is 10 below zero.
                  Last edited by jjkaiser; January 4, 2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

JKaiser has it right! The only thing different I do is to bind it and I stitch a different design than the X on each square. I've always loved this tutorial: https://bloomandblossom.blogspot.com...-tutorial.html
                    I am Sew Blessed!
                    Alina

Comment

I made one for my hubby. He is a patriotic colors person through and through. So, I used a cotton layer cake on top then 2 layers of flannel. It made up great and he loves it.

Comment

Working...
                      X