What color thread should be used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What color thread should be used

So I've made the Rhombus quilt (thank goodness for Jenny and her tutorials) for my husband. I'm having difficulty trying to decide on what color thread to use for the quilting.

Here's what it looks like so far. I still have to add all four borders (which will be black). Do I use red thread? Gray? Should I try an invisible thread? (If so what brand?)

IMG_0494.jpg

Please excuse the messy room. I hadn't tidied up yet. Too busy sewing.

Re: What color thread should be used

Beautiful job on the quilt. I personally would use a very light grey, so the thread doesn't show as much, but the texture of the quilting still will.

And as for the messy room, Honey, if you think that's messy, please don't ever visit my home , at least your bed is made, which is much more than I can say for my room when I get into the sewing mode (which is daily)!

Comment

I'd definitely use gray, esp. given your planned black borders. I'd even consider a variegated gray thread, to pull the black into the quilt and have it all pull together.

Thanks for the image...helps me plan a smaller rhombus quilt...

Great job!

Comment

I would love to see the black borders before thinking about the quilting thread color. This is a beautiful quilt. Your room is sew pretty!
        A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I used a variegated thread for the first time FMQ. I was pretty impressed with the way it handled. I only bought it because Connecting threads was having their $1 thread sale and all they had left were the variegated ones. They had a black/white/grey and a black, tan, grey and both were pretty cool.
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

I would go with gray thread.
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I'll be odd man out (Anyone who knows boB won't be surprised at that)

I'd consider going with black thread to quilt with to match the border. My first quilt that I did I used black for the borders and sashing and the black quilting ties it all together. I also use a black bed skirt with the quilt.

Comment

I like the idea of a variegated gray as well. That would be nice. However the way the quilt is made you could easily change thread colors to match. Do the red all the way across, then the grays and then the border. It is a beautiful quilt!

Comment

That is lovely. I love the 3D look of the rhombus. I'd use light grey.

Comment

If you have some fabric left over, you could make a sample and try out different colors on it, before you decide.

Comment

I would use a grey so the eye isn't distracted by sharp contrast against the colors in the quilt. I think with the black or red your eye would go to that instead of the overall quilt.
                      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Working...
                      X