Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you sew border and binding seams - diagonal or straight across?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you sew border and binding seams - diagonal or straight across?

I've always used diagonal seams when sewing borders together and binding strips. Recently, I was at my local quilt shop to use a long arm machine on my quilt, and I noticed a couple of "puckers" where I had not exactly sewn the seam straight (just eye-balled the seam instead of marking it). The lady that owns the quilt shop said she never uses diagonal seams for that reason and that once it's quilted, it really won't show, so I should save myself the headache and sew the seams straight across. Just curious about how those of you that have done a lot of quilts handle borders and binding. Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: How do you sew border and binding seams - diagonal or straight across?

If the border is 2.5" or less, I make diagonal seams. It the border is wider than that, I sew a straight seam. It helps to sew from the middle to either end. Less chance of puckering.

Comment

I hadn't thought of sewing from middle - that sure make it flatter for sure. Thanks.

Comment

I use diagonal seams for almost everything except stripes,plaids and large patterns that I want to match. I mark my borders/strips and pin well and I never get any puckers.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I use straight seams on borders and diagonal on binding. And the only time I miter the corners of the borders is if I'm using a directional fabric.
          Vonnie

Comment

I use diagonal seams on both.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

I use diagonal on borders and binding. It spreads out the seam instead of in just one spot.

Comment

Diagonal on binding . For narrow border I might use diagonal but usually use straight for borders. I really like when I have enough yardage that I can cut my borders length of fabric and have no seams but that doesnt happen too often.
                "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                Hillary Clinton

Comment

I use diagonal for binding. For borders I usually use length wise cuts of fabric so I don't have to seam them. If it is a narrow inner border I will piece the strips together and have used both straight and diagonal. And I rarely miter borders.

Comment

I don't normally do borders but when I do I sew straight seams. I always use diagonal seams on my bindings.

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice!

Comment

Working...
                      X