triangles for on point setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

triangles for on point setting

I am attempting to put together a lattice quilt on point. I have 6 1/2 inch unfinished squares with 2 inch unfinished sashing. I have all the charts and the formula for figuring the corner and side setting triangles but still cannot get it right. So= dumb question, is my "block" I am using to figure the size 7 1/2 inches? I have cut triangles in 3 different sizes and none seem to work. It cannot be that complicated, but that "light bulb" moment just won't happen!Thanks in advance.
    evy

Re: triangles for on point setting

I would think your setting triangles would be the same size as your block. Use the 6 1/2" unfinished size block to determine your corner and setting block - which is a 6" finished size.

So.... that would mean you'd use a 5 1/8" square cut once on the diagonal for the corner triangles and 9 3/4" square cut twice on the diagonal for the side triangles.

Comment

Quiltville.com. Bonnie Hunter has a chart for sizes to cut setting and corner triangles

Comment

Quilter's Paradise has a calculator for set in triangles and corners. I use it all the time!
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Ummm...I'm not the person to ask. I have only done one quilt on point and it was an accident. I was trying to make regular blocks and somehow, I added triangles to the edges of the blocks instead of making hst blocks and voila, the whold darn thing was on point.
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

I've done several on point quilts, but I have also had a pattern to tell me how to cut my setting triangles and corner triangles. I love doing on point quilts.

Comment

Originally posted by cjsews View Post
              Quiltville.com. Bonnie Hunter has a chart for sizes to cut setting and corner triangles
              This is the chart I used - as a starting point. Because I'm paranoid I checked by cutting the triangles in aluminum foil first (I didn't have pieces of paper big enough) and then I cut the fabric just a wee bit bigger because I figured it was easier to trim than to try to ease them in...
              Slainte!

Liz

:icon_pcnoob:

Comment

Working...
              X