My new machine seems to have a DRAG in fmq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new machine seems to have a DRAG in fmq

Well, for a week I've been piecing and trying to get acquainted with the new Sapphire. So today I loaded up the finished top from last month and put it in to machine for FMQ
    I am experiencing a lot of drag. I have it in the same position as the old machine. The only difference is the sew easy table instead of the cabinet.
    I tried putting it in FMQ with the jumping foot...tried the quilt mode straight stitch...lots of drag so I put it on the utility straight stitch so I could drop the stitch length to 0...still quite a bit of drag. Hard to get the quilt to move freely.
    I put the machine on the automating run without the foot pedal. I like that...the consistency of the speed it fabulous, but the effort in moving the quilt is wearing me out.
    Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I might be doing wrong or different.?
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Re: My new machine seems to have a DRAG in fmq

The only thing I can think of is making sure your feed dogs were down.

On my longarm when I experience drag it's because I forgot to raise the roll bar when I advance the quilt.

How large is your quilt?
    Vonnie

Comment

How big is your quilt? My midarm is in a table and if I am doing anything larger than a twin I find there is drag unless I use something to extend the table space. I use two bar stools, one on either side, to keep things level and that seems to work. I think the table really needs to be longer on both sides, more oblong, to be functional. I just read an article by Leah Day regarding her sit down Juki, which is similar to mine, and she said the same thing. In addition to adding on to her table space, she has a homemade contraption with a bungee cord and a hook fron her ceiling to take up the drag. I don't think I am going to mention that to DH just yet!

Comment

Feed dogs down?? Try keeping the bulk of the quilt up on the table. Hope you can figure it out.
        LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

This may not be what you are referring to, but with my sew-easy table, I find that the quilt gets caught between the table and the arms on my chair. Just creates a little slot in front that sucks that quilt right in there. Almost brings the free motion to a standstill. I need to get a chair without arms.

Comment

As Snip said, with my SewEzi Grande I lower my ironing board to table height and butt it up against the SewEzi to support most of the quilt. Also I use an armless chair. I try to keep the fabric squished up around the needle area and not in my lap at all. I bought a very inexpensive teflon oven liner and tape it to the laminate surface for FMQ. Much bigger than the supreme slider. That helps too. If anything goes off the plan I can immediately feel the drag. Hope this helps a little.

Comment

I have a Sapphire 930 and just finished FMQ 2 quilts - mind you, these are the first quilts I've ever FMQ! These are some things I learned:
              * check / play / practice with the pivot foot height - really makes a difference
              * I used the clear FMQ foot that came with the machine - found the spring action foot to make the fabric "jump" Make sure feed dogs are down
              THE FIRST 2 STEPS SEEMED TO BE THE MOST IMPORTANT

* I used supreme slider (could use Teflon oven liner) under the quilt helps
              * I kept bunching up the quilt on my chest to keep it from dragging (next time I will use ironing board as extension on side)
              * I used the start/stop button - loved the consistency of speed (used the low speed setting on machine)
              * used quilter's gloves - helps with shoulder strain and gripping the quilt

Hope these are helpful to you - my FMQ was surely not great but it was fun!

Comment

Are you using a Supreme Slider? They are teflon sheets that make the quilt slide easier.

Comment

Definitely use a supreme slider or Teflon sheet. Also, yes, as others have said, feed dogs down on a DSM. I always make sure I use gloves which help me move the quilt better. Without them, I notice more drag because my hands don't move the quilt as well. An extra table/ironing board/cabinet helps greatly to carry some of the excess. I have my sit down machine built onto a table which has an extension leaf to the right of the machine table that I can use if needed. I also have my cutting tables set to the height of the quilter so that I have that space to the left of the machine table. I still have to bunch the quilt and keep adjusting it as I go. Don't give up.
                  A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Ok, I don't have a supreme slider. I do however, have a reusable baking sheet that seems to be pretty slick. Where do I put it? Do I cut out for the needle plate and just put it over the sew easy table.?
                    Feed dogs automatically drop on the 960Q when you put it in FMQ mode. I am going to bring in another table today and see if that gives it more room. I've done about 1/4 of the quilt but my muscles are screaming at me. This new machine was suppose to make life easier I surely do appreciate all of you taking the time to think of things that might work.
                    Terry

Comment

The reuseable baking sheet goes over the bed of the sewing machine. Yes you need to cut a hole through it for the needle to go through. Use painters tape to hold the baking sheet down.

If the table you bring in is not slippery enough you can cover the table with a sheet of vinyl.

Does your fancy sewing machine also reduce the pressure on the pressure foot when you put it in FMQ mode? My machine has a manual adjustment for pressure on the pressure foot.
                      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Be sure the baking sheet is well secured or you'll end up sewing it into your quilt.

Comment

I would highly recommend getting the Supreme Slider. It's well worth the money. Did you wax your table surface? That also will help. Make sure you use a wax that is okay to use with your table. I found with my Sew Steady Extension Table that the Turtle wax works fine. I waxed it before starting every FMQ project.

Also with my Viking when I was FMQ with the DSM, I had to play around with the thickness of the fabric settings as well as some of the adjustments on the computer. I always set my stitch length to 0 & always dropped the feed dogs. You might need to work on some practice sandwiches to get the stitch to look like you want it. If you're getting drag, make sure the quilt does not drape down over the edge of the table. I use an ironing board to the left of my DSM & table to hold the excess quilt. You also have to hold up the quilt. Yes, the arms do get tired! You'll need to take frequent rests. Set a kitchen timer to go off every 30 min. Get up and walk around & stretch your arms & shoulders. I usually could not FMQ more than an hour a time.

Good luck with your quilting!

Comment

Okay, I spent a couple of hours working on the room and setting up more tables and it all seems good. Finished the quilt and am working on assembling the blocks I made yesterday. Thank you all for all the info. I'll check on the supreme slider as soon as I get some more money flowing. Maybe I'll get lucky this month and sell a quilt. Next month, I start working on the Shriner project so I am trying to finish up all my personal projects this month.
                            Terry

Comment

sewing table (2).jpg

See the patch of black under the quilt...that is an oven silicone sheet. I have it taped to the table top next to the machine. You could also cut it so the bobbin area/presser foot area would be visible. I've had it both ways. They really do make a difference. The Supreme Sliders are too expensive. The oven sheets are cheap and work just as well. Hope that fixes some of your problem.
                              LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X