8 point star with Y seams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 point star with Y seams

I decided it was time to expand and I decided to learn how to make an 8 point star with Y seams. This year I've decided it's time to do less quilts and more toward the learning processes and accuracy. So I'm concentrating on learning blocks. For this one I used Edith Sitka's (sp?) beginner 8 point star utube tutorial.

All went well until I got to the 4 square corner blocks . I'm very much a visual learner and I took things slow and checked and rechecked. I had no major problems with the cutting, piecing the point and I was amazed that my triangle inserts were way easier than I thought. Well until I got to the square inserts. Her video I thought was excellent visually and with her explanations until I got to that point. Then she assumed if you can do the triangle inserts you'd just follow through easily to the square inserts. She started to explain and then said continue as you did the triangle inserts. I tried another & seam video that was from Kate or Kaye somebody and I thought maybe I got it but not as well as I had hoped.

Here's my block: (You can see that I do have two errors in it. The center points did not all meet exactly and were off a little and there is also a one stitch tuck in the upper right red diamond but lets forget them for a second) 8ptstar1.JPG It doesn't look all that bad for a very first attempt.

Now on closer look you see the major problem and just how miserably I failed with those corner square inserts. My attempts totally ruined what had started out as a good try.
    8ptstar2.JPG

1. The lower left square is larger than the other three corners. I honestly don't think I had used the wrong square measurements on that one but I must have. Also I did starch all the squares very carefully after I had cut them out.
    2. The top right side point and the lower left side point go right to the edge without having a quarter inch seam allowance at the edge as the others do.
    3. What the heck happened to the bottom edge there is a half inch variation from one side to the other. You can see that the horizontal seam is lined up on the 5" line and those center pieces lay within the 3 1/4 to the 7 1/3 inch lines. So the distortion appears to be occurring at the lower panels.

Does anyone know of a better video for inserting squares into corners? I know I do have a problem with my mind and my visual go in opposite directions. It's like a verbal/visual mirror image but it doesn't happen with everything, just certain types of things. Also I'm wondering if one of the mistakes is that sometimes when inserting the first edge of the square and lining up the fabric if sometimes I'm lining up with the rabbit ear edge and sometimes I line up with edge that is 1/4 inch down from the rabbit ear point? I just feel this shouldn't be so hard for me to see or logically figure out.

The one thing I have learned though is that for my first learning block of any type don't set the machine on 2 or 2.5 stitches and use a 3 or baste. And secondly I now know why people use thread catchers . grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Re: 8 point star with Y seams

I recommend you starch and press your fabric before cutting. Don't be too hard on yourself....it's your first attempt. I have never done that star but I know there is a new pattern for it without Y seams. Your fabrics are great together!
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Errors are either learning opportunities or creative design elements, nothing more nothing less. It looks fantastic, and you certainly got the process down. I haven't done y seams, but as with anything else I'd just take a step back and try and simplify my thoughts about where to start getting it how I'd like it to be. You mentioned not lining things up the same each time, I'd start there and make a new block with that one change and see what happens.

Comment

Try to find something by Eleanor Burns. She does a "Y" seam also.

Here, maybe this video will help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsVXlI4wXQI
        Vonnie

Comment

I don't know why, but I have always enjoyed doing Y seams.....they fascinate me!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I'll try another one and starch the fabric first and then cut. I watched the Burns video and I see that she opens her seam by a 1/4 " where the seams joins and then inserts. I'll try that too and see if it helps. I did like the two blocks she did and I might work on those next.

I like those fabrics together too. The red I just picked up 2 yards cheap from Marshall's and the blue was about a fat quarter I had left over from another project. I hope I can find more of that because I really did like that blue. I'm hoping I got it from MSQ and that they have more because I'd like to pick up another yard or two.
            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

We must all be on the perfection resolution bandwagon. I have vowed to learn to do better this year. I cut, I measured, I squared and I am really trying just to put onetogether that has matching corners. Y seams....hummm...another year maybe. But honestly, I think its fine. Sometimes we just have to accept and hope that in time things just happen. Try to enjoymore than critiicsing yourself.
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

I made an Attic Windows quilt using "Y" seams. Next time I'm cheating and using half-square triangles for the corners!
                Vonnie

Comment

Grammaterry fortunately I'm not a perfectionist but in this case I just want to prove to myself it can be done and done to perfection. Once I know I can do it perfectly 2 to 4 times then I can go back to being my normal devil may care person LOL Maybe I should frame each perfect block I always wanted to try and then I can point to it anytime and say "I can do perfectly if I wanna!"

Comment

Vonnie usually I cheat and use half sq triangles too. This is just a little (hummm or not so little) goal I set for myself. I see a lot of those beautiful complicated quilts I'd love to try if I wasn't in such a rush to see a finished product and go for the easier patterns. It looks like lots of them use Y seams so I thought what the heck. How would I like to do something this week to make me want to blow my brains out. This won :-)

Comment

Hey, that's a great idea. Maybe if you do enough of these perfect blocks you could do an orphan quilt with all of them together.
                      Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                      Grammaterry fortunately I'm not a perfectionist but in this case I just want to prove to myself it can be done and done to perfection. Once I know I can do it perfectly 2 to 4 times then I can go back to being my normal devil may care person LOL Maybe I should frame each perfect block I always wanted to try and then I can point to it anytime and say "I can do perfectly if I wanna!"
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

Carlie Wolf, try not to stress over the Y seams. They do take a little practice. The important thing is to make sure you have 1/4 overlap at the edges so you don't lose your points on the stars.

When I do Y seams, I start from the outside edge and sew up to the 1/4 of the joining seam. I always mark the 1/4 stopping spot. I then do the same thing on the other seam. If you have stopped at 1/4 on both seams, when you turn and press it should match up. It is also easier to do by hand, so being a little short of the seam is better than going over, if that makes sense.

Good luck and keep practicing.
                        Cindy

Comment

Working...
                        X