Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you fix bumps in your batting?

Happy New Year from Ohio!

Has anyone ever had this problem? I ordered batting from JoAnn's when it was 50% off. It arrived on a roll. When I opened the package, I found three bumps in the batting, about 21-23" from the edge. The rest of it seems ok (so far).

I was hoping to get three lap quilts out of the roll, so I really don't want to lose almost 2' of batting. One of the bumps is quite large (about 3"). Any suggestions on how to fix?
    Attached Files

Re: How do you fix bumps in your batting?

Hmmm, not sure how to fix, but I think I would just cut the bump off a little shy of even with the batting, and finesse the hole to smooth it out. I have had batting that actually had a hole in it and just kind of stretched the rest of batting to make it fill in. Once the item is sandwiched and quilted, I have noticed no problem. I will be very interested in what others have to say about this topic.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I would trim the bump so it lays flat, and then use a piece of Fusible Batting Tape over the spot to reinforce it.

Comment

Love your idea Caroline T. I have never seen fusible batting tape. Where do you find it?

Comment

I had this problem. I cut a square of batting out of scrap batting, then place it on top of the "bump". Then using a disappearing marker, I traced around the square and then cut the bump out. Placed the square of scrap batting in it's place and whip stitched it in. Could not tell after it was quilted where the "bumps" were.
          Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by cv quilter View Post
            Love your idea Caroline T. I have never seen fusible batting tape. Where do you find it?
            It's at Joann's: http://www.joann.com/batting-tape-1-.../11504669.html
            Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
              I had this problem. I cut a square of batting out of scrap batting, then place it on top of the "bump". Then using a disappearing marker, I traced around the square and then cut the bump out. Placed the square of scrap batting in it's place and whip stitched it in. Could not tell after it was quilted where the "bumps" were.
              Yes! Or you could cut it off, and use it later for mug rugs ect. Right now I have a project that needs some small pieces of batting, and I don't have any. I save every piece I trim off, but I used it all. I'd hate to cut some from a new piece of batting, but I may have to.
              Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

I just sort of mash it back into place. Once everything is spray basted or pinned and then quilted it all flattens out. It looks like someone grabbed the roll and where they gripped it got stretched a little.
                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
                  Yes! Or you could cut it off, and use it later for mug rugs ect. Right now I have a project that needs some small pieces of batting, and I don't have any. I save every piece I trim off, but I used it all. I'd hate to cut some from a new piece of batting, but I may have to.
                  Prettycurious, p.m. me your addrest and i'll send you some. I have a garbage bag full of pieces that are too small to piece into a bigger piece, and I haven't gotten into mug rugs and smaller projects yet.

Comment

I'm thinking you should consider taking the whole roll back to Joanns and exchange it.
                    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                    Terry

Comment

I've steamed those kind of bumps out. Steam it, flatten it gently with your hand, steam it again and let it rest.
                      Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                        Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
                          I would trim the bump so it lays flat, and then use a piece of Fusible Batting Tape over the spot to reinforce it.
                          Thanks, Caroline! I will try that.

Comment

I would sure complain to JA and ask for a replacement, that is if you don't need to use it immediately. You shouldn't have to fix, cut, trim or repair brand new batting to make it useable.

Comment

I agree - it's too expensive to have to do all of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X