X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem understanding how much fabric I need

I was looking at MSQ precuts guide.
    Example:
    For a Twin size is says I need 4 charm packs. but what if I am adding solids to "stretch" the charm pack..
    So would I need 2 charm packs (print) and 2 solids..
    Sometimes I see the final amount and think I can make stretch my dollar my buying my printed line and then adding a solid.
    Am I doing/understanding it right?
    I m organizning my stash so I can productively start making my quilts once everyone goes back to school/work..
    Thanks

Re: Problem understanding how much fabric I need

There is less than a yard of fabric in a charm pack, so you could safely substitute a one yard piece of fabric for a charm pack. I do this pretty often if the pattern calls for a solid charm pack (jelly roll, what ever) for background material. I just cut my own charms, etc.

Comment

Google number of precuts from a yard of fabric and you will see lots of sites that tell you how many charms can be cut from a yard, etc. Very helpful when you want to use yardage instead of precuts.

Comment

Figure 2 charm packs at 1 1/2 yds , a layer cake at about 3 yds.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

Fat Quarter - 18" x 22" rectangle of fabric (yields 1/4 yard in a more useable piece than 9" x 42");

Charm Squares- 5" pre-cut squares usually in a collection of 40+ coordinating fabrics; total average yardage yield is approximately 1 1/8 yards

Jelly Rolls - 2 1/2" pre-cut strips, cut the width of the fabric (WOF), from selvage to selvage. Jelly Rolls are sold in sets of 40 strips from a coordinating fabric line; total yardage yield is approximately 2 3/4+ yards

Layer Cakes - 10" x 10" pre-cut squares, usually in packages of 40 fabrics from a coordinating line of fabrics; total yardage yield is approximately 2 3/4+ yards

Fat Rolls - 5" wide pre-cut strips x width of fabric from selvage to selvage. These rolls are fabric strips from a coordinating line of fabric, typically 40 strips; total yardage yield is approximately 5 1/2+ yards

Turnovers - 6" pre-cut triangles of 40 fabrics from a coordinating line; total yardage yield is approximately 1 yard

Sweet rolls - 1 1/2" pre-cut strips cut the width of the fabric from selvage to selvage. These are 40 strips from a coordinating fabric line; total yardage yield is approximately 1 3/4 yards
          Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I have this precut, what can it make?
            August 28, 2013

All of the sizes given below do not include borders, simply what each precut can make. By adding borders you can make your quilt bigger. Also depending on the pattern used, the end size can change, but that’s when borders come in handy, in my experience.

The standard charm pack has 42 pieces of 5 inch fabric.
            1 – Baby quilt

2 – Crib size quilt

3 – Lap quilt

5 – Twin quilt

8 – Queen quilt

A standard layer cake has 42 pieces of 10 inch fabric.

1 – Twin quilt

2 – Queen quilt

A jelly roll has 40 pieces of 2.5 inch strips of fabric.

1 – Lap/Twin quilt

2 – Queen quilt

A quilt made from a fat quarter bundle all depends on the size of the bundle. One bundle can make anything from a full size quilt to a king size quilt. A fat quarter bundle is 18 x 22″ cut of fabric which equals a quarter yard.

I’m also including the finished sizes of quilts or bedspreads. Each size should be taken with grain of salt:

Baby = 36′” x 54″

Crib = 45″ x 60″

Twin = 63″ x 87″

Double = 78″ x 87″

Queen= 84″ x 92″

King = 100″ x 92″
            Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

When ordering your precuts from other sites, be sure to check the quantity of pieces. I recently bought a jelly roll on sale from another site- but it only had 15 strips. That was okay for me, as I only needed 14 strips for my project - but - it could have been a disaster if I needed 40 strips and hadn't checked.
              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Working...
              X