quilting opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilting opinions wanted

I'm working on fmq my Dresden Plate. Have completed most of the background, and am loving the way it's turning out, especially from the back. I haven't quilted any of the actual plates yet, and am leaning towards NOT quilting them, as I want them to be fuller looking than the background. What do you think, should I quilt the plates too, and if I do, what sort of design would you recommend?

don't mind the blue markings, I used washable markers, so these will wash out later - I hope
    dresden.jpg
    dresden back.jpg

Re: quilting opinions wanted

That is stunning. You should leave it just like that. I really really love it.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

I agree. Beautiful. I would not quilt the plate pieces.

Comment

Love the colors on your dresdens! Great job on the quilting!
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

i agree!! ! I think you are done! Stunning!!
          Happy Quilting!

Comment

I am with you, I would not quilt the dresden plates, I love what you did!
            My blog (when I will be able to keep it updated): http://juliasdreamabout.blogspot.it/

Queen of Quiltgard

Lover of Scraps

Comment

Before you decide to quilt or not to quilt - what is the recommended quilting space for your batting?

If it's 2 - 4 inches than you should at least do stitch in the ditch between blades.

BTW, your quilt is beautiful!
              Vonnie

Comment

What does your batting require? I.e. closeness of quilting? Most batting needs to be quilted every 3-4". If you don't want to quilt every Dresden piece, you could do every other one or every third. IMO, that needs to be quilted. It may look fine now, but not sure once the quilt is washed, I'm not so sure. You could do SITD on the Dresdens. Your quilting is well done. It's a very pretty quilt.

Comment

I like it without quilting the plates. Beautiful colors and you did a great job on the quilting. You should be very proud of that one.
                  Cindy

Comment

Thank you all,

Vonnie & JCY, very good point. I checked the batting package, and the recommendation is up to 10", so then I did some measuring. there are spaces inside the larger plates that the unquilted area exceeds the 10", so I guess some more quilting is in order.

Thanks again everyone for your compliments. Will post pictures of the completed quilt in a few days.

Comment

Beautiful!!! I was going to suggest just a simple outline inside the blades close to the ditch. It would look really nice on the back as well. Thanks for sharing
                      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                      Aesop

Comment

Agreed. You are done.

Comment

same here as granny fran and just stitch near the ditch inside each pedal of the dresdens, for me near the ditch seems easier than in Love the quilting, great job.

Comment

Beautiful. For a little more quilting you could stitch around the center circle.

Comment

I think you should ditch stitch every other blade or every fourth blade. It would still be 'full' looking but the stitching would stabilize the plates. I like my blocks "hammered down"...lol!

I love the shape of your centers, really different. This is a gorgeous quilt and your quilting looks great.
                              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                              X