Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interface/batting for a stand up tote bag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interface/batting for a stand up tote bag.

My sister has plans to make her DD a tote bag that can stand up. DD is a teacher and the tote would come in handy for all the "stuff' she needs to haul around while at school. The pattern calls for Thermolam which will keep it in the upright position plus regular batting. Are there any other batting/interfacing you can recommend that will do the job? My sister will have to shop online and it's confusing as to the many types of Thermolam there are. No JoAnn's in Brooklyn where she lives so it's difficult to make a good choice of an online product. .

Re: Interface/batting for a stand up tote bag.

Sorry posted in wrong area.

Comment

Interfacing/btting for a stand up tote.

My sister has plans to make her DD a tote bag that can stand up. DD is a teacher and the tote would come in handy for all the "stuff' she needs to haul around while at school. The pattern calls for Thermolam which will keep it in the upright position plus regular batting. Are there any other batting/interfacing you can recommend that will do the job? My sister will have to shop online and it's confusing as to the many types of Thermolam there are. No JoAnn's in Brooklyn where she lives so it's difficult to make a good choice of an online product. .

Comment

I like bosal

Comment

I use headliner material bought from Joann's.
          http://www.joann.com/headliner-tan-u...l/9198672.html
          Last edited by Iris Girl; December 29, 2016, 02:25 PM.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs is my go to for bag construction. Since she has a background in the industry she has some more thorough information and ideas about it than someone ordinary like me who would just blog about what they like to use.

Here she demonstrates something that might be what you're wanting. Headliner foam, Bosal interfacing, there's another brand I can't remember; they're all thin foam that stands up and retains its shape unlike poly batting type liners.

http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/sew-l...in-interfacing

This site goes quite in depth with several interfacings. I've found it a great help in deciding what to buy sight unseen.

http://www.sewmamasew.com/2013/12/ba...t-interfacing/

Comment

I used the Bosal for the fabric baskets I made the grandkids very sturdy.
              If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

She could also use Pellon Flex-Foam, which is also fusible. I prefer the sew-in headliner though.

Comment

I use fusible fleece.

Comment

I love Bosal In-R-Form. I think it gives good stability, but is easy to work with. You can get it non fusible or one sided or 2 sided fusible. When Crafty Gemini did her Improv tote pattern with Jenny using this product, so many people ordered it from various sources that you couldn't find it for months. Now, it is my go to interfacing/ stabilizer for purses/totes/wallets.

Comment

Working...
                    X