Which pattern to choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which pattern to choose?

I was very fortunate that DH bought me Collection for a cause - Nurture in a LC for Christmas.
    The question is that there are some very large prints in the collection so which pattern should I use? I'm not very experienced so need a quite basic design. I do have some plain natural in my stash but don't want to add a load of fabric to go with it.
    I hope someone out there can help.

Re: Which pattern to choose?

I have come across a lot of quilts lately on Pinterest that are just squares. I have a Fasset layer cake and I'm just going to that. I don't want to cut it up!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I made this one. It is Warmth line of the Collection for a cause. Easy to do and I didn't use the whole layer cake, just added yardage for the background squares.IMG_7306.JPG

Comment

Jenny's pattern for an hourglass quilt made with layer cakes is very easy and was one of the first quilts I made. It's great for beautiful fabrics.

Comment

I like Warm Wishes for large designs.

Comment

I like the "Between the Lines" pattern by Mountain Peek Creations. It is easy, but you do have to add background and framing fabrics.

Comment

You could do the Friendship Star sashing and leave the squares whole - I plan on doing that with one of my LCs that I just done want to cut up.

Here's Jenny's tutorial:
              http://quiltingtutorials.com/product...sashing-quilt/

Comment

I really like Marty's suggestion: Jenny's Hour Glass quilt. Here's the tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIyHqggI_eU
                Last edited by Bubby; December 27, 2016, 04:30 PM.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I am torn between the hourglass and the friendship star. Have decided to put it on the back burner and get on with something else. I will write it down in a book because I am finding that when I buy fabric or see a tutorial I forget which pattern is going with which fabric!!!
                  I have a looong list of things I want to make next year so DD got me some notebooks to use to capture my ideas and tutorials etc.

Comment

MaryUK, now the trick will be to actually use the notebook and then to put it in a place where you remember it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                      I have come across a lot of quilts lately on Pinterest that are just squares. I have a Fasset layer cake and I'm just going to that. I don't want to cut it up!
                      Aloha Hulamoon, Hauoli Makahikiho, here is the quilt I made with the cool Fassett layer cake. I didn't want to cut it up either. 161229-120205.jpgIt is going to Child and Family service for one of the moms in transition.

Comment

I'm in a similar situation with a "Let It Snow" layer cake I bought way back when. Thought I would make an "Alter Ego" quilt with it, but it doesn't have enough variety in the blocks and some of the prints are large. So I'm thinking of making scrappy four patches with all the print fabrics and then doing a checkerboard pattern with a solid color block drawn from one of the designs (maybe a nice tan.) I saw a quilt for sale like that once and thought it was simple but very effective. Put a nice double border on it and done!

Comment

Working...
                        X