Which to do first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which to do first?

I have finally got this top "Hexactly" by Hunters' Design Studio completed and am very happy with how it has come together. I need opinions and advice please on the quilting:

I want to do very simple top to bottom straight lines 1/2" apart, to accentuate the simple long columns. I was planning to use monofilament for the blocks of Hexagons and then a white thread for the large sections of just white space.

So.....do I do all the monofilament stitching, that is, quilt all the hexagon sections first before doing the white sections OR, do I do it all strictly column by column starting with the middle one?

Thanks for all advice and have a Merry Christmas.
    Attached Files

Re: Which to do first?

I personally would do all one color and then change and do the other. I don't like to rethread my machine that much.
    sigpic

Comment

When I quilt, I always start from the middle of the quilt. If it is SITD, I start at the top middle, work my way to the outside, and then go back to the middle and work out to the other side. Then I do the same with the horizontal middle. If it is not SITD, I start in the exact middle of the quilt, and do 1/4 of the quilt at a time. If I were doing your quilt, I would do all the large white sections first.
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Thanks Sylvia and Laura....... If I do one "colour" at a time, that is, say all the white or, all the mono would I risk fabric shifting or not quilting out evenly?

Would I be better off completely finishing one whole column at a time? I would be using the same bobbin thread for both so I would only be changing my top thread as needed. I'm picturing sewing down a column and then stopping at the hexagon, changing my needle thread to the mono (and a quick tension adjustment for the mono) and then continuing my line down through the hexes until I "hit" white fabric again and changing back to the white. To me this would seem to keep my "line" true. What do you think? Am I being unnecessary and complicated in my strategy? Would this be become a nightmare after about the twentieth thread change? Hmmmmm, starting to reassess now! LOL On second thought...you're both right...it would drive me bonkers! LOL
        Last edited by just4me; December 23, 2016, 11:51 PM.

Comment

I would do all the hexies first, then the white. Just my opinion, because I think it would be stabilized better, and like Laura, I don't like changing threads.

Comment

No quilting advice, but it sure is a cool quilt!
            Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by KarenC View Post
              I would do all the hexies first, then the white. Just my opinion, because I think it would be stabilized better, and like Laura, I don't like changing threads.
              I think this is a good suggestion. However, I also liked your idea of going column by column and changing threads. I have an auto threader, so it hasn't been a problem for me. I once quilted a three color quilt where I had to change the thread for each block. (And yes, all this is opposite to what I wrote before - but it just shows that there are many ways to approach this.)
              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Originally posted by Lori63 View Post
                No quilting advice, but it sure is a cool quilt!
                Exactly what she said!

Comment

I'm not sure how to go about this. Like you, I would be concerned with shifting while switching between colors. Karen and Sylvia are both great quilters, so I think you're decision would depend on your level of confidence. It will be beautiful no matter what you choose. It's a terrific quilt!
                  Cindy

Comment

1/2" spacing is very dense and it will shrink that portion of the quilt as it is quilted. So you need to quilt the outside edges of your hexagons first to stabilize their position and straightness relative to each other. Once the outside edges of the hexagons are stabilized it doesn't matter whether you do all the mono quilting first, or do it a column at a time.
                    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

How about a variegated thread for the top? Then you wouldn't have to change back and forth. Or hand stitching the hexies with an echo?
                      Last edited by Granny Fran; December 24, 2016, 08:19 AM.
                      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                      Aesop

Comment

Way above my skill level. Maybe someday I'll know enough to be helpful. But reading about it really inspires me.
                        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                        Terry

Comment

I agree with Denise. I actually think if you outline the hexes first , it will help them pop. If you'received not required to quilt thru the hexies, because of the spacing for batting, I think just outlining them and your straight lines in the white would set it off nicely. If you can find a post from me back around March with Zoey's quilt you can see an example of the pop from the outlining first. My shapes were large enough that I still had to quilt inside them.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenC View Post
                            I agree with Denise. I actually think if you outline the hexes first , it will help them pop. If you'received not required to quilt thru the hexies, because of the spacing for batting, I think just outlining them and your straight lines in the white would set it off nicely. If you can find a post from me back around March with Zoey's quilt you can see an example of the pop from the outlining first. My shapes were large enough that I still had to quilt inside them.
                            Oooooo..hadn't thought about just outlining the hexies......I'll just have to double check my batting requirement but that just may be a good way to do it. Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the dense quilting skewing my hexies.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and advice.....all thoroughly listened to and contemplated!
                            Last edited by just4me; December 25, 2016, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X