X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julie A
    replied
    Re: Different kind of question

I am hand quilting a batik quilt and found that John James Gold'nGlide needles made all the difference! I use size 9 for quilting and to sew down the binding. Fabulous needles - the glide thru batiks and stay very sharp!

Leave a comment:

• surfergirl
    replied

try running the needle against your scalp, will give just enough oil on tip of needle for easier sewing.

Leave a comment:

• cashs mom
    replied

I just made a quilt with batiks and hand finished the binding. I use japanese embroidery needles for all my handwork. They have a long narrow eye that is easy to thread and seem to go thru the fabric really nicely.

Leave a comment:

• Patty J
    replied

I've decided that sewing the binding on by machine might give the binding longer life , especially for young people. They aren't as careful as an adult. Not that they should be!! I say let kids be kids. Give those heirloom quilts to them when they are older.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

I sew the binding on by machine. I use a Microtex needle which works better for the tightly woven fabric. Unless it's a really special gift, I no longer hand sew the bindings on any of my quilts. I do them all on the machine. It's so much faster & easier.
    Last edited by JCY; December 23, 2016, 05:49 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Leave a comment:

• Kmarie
    replied

Didn't realize batiks would dull a needle faster. Make sense the cloth is so tightly woven. It also seems like the darker colors in a strip are harder to sew then the light colors. Haven't tried straw needles have heard of them but haven't found them locally and never seem to remember them when I make an order on line. Thanks for all the good advice

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

Batiks are different and will dull needles quickly for some reason. I suspect that is the problem you are having.

Leave a comment:

• MRoy
    replied

Have you tried straw/milliner's needles? Here's a link to a suggestion for needles for hand applique using batiks.
    http://allaboutapplique.net/category/batik/

Leave a comment:

• Kmarie
    started a topic Different kind of question

Different kind of question

I am hand stitching the back of the binding on an all batik quilt. I'm having a terrible time. I have gotten several sizes of new hand sewing needles out and have such a hard time getting them thru the fabric. These are the same brands I have used in the past on many different quilts--never a batik --with out a problem. What kind of needles do you use to hand sew the bindings. Any difference with batiks.
Working...
X