Have you made a weighted blanket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you made a weighted blanket?

If you have made a weighted blanket... did you use the Man Sewing/Rob Chapel video?

My sil has asked me to make one for my nephew who is Downs/Autistic. I just want to know how much "Struggle" it takes to make it ... you know, wrestling with the heaviness through the machine and did you use cuddle for the back as he did. I've never used it.

Re: Have you made a weighted blanket?

I am watching for replies cause somebody wants me to make one too. I did a little investigating but I don't want to make one with pellets, the boy's mom would never in a million years think to remove them before washing so it would be ruined on the first wash. I am thinking maybe denim squares might give it enough weight to not use pellets of any kind. This is for a boy who has anxiety and ADHD or whatever it is called but not autistic.

Comment

They poly pellets used to make weighted blankets are not removed before washing.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
        They poly pellets used to make weighted blankets are not removed before washing.
        Thanks, I didn't know this!! I thought I had read somewhere that you need to make pockets, then pouches to put the pellets in that you put in the pockets, so I thought they had to be removed.

Comment

We had one for our oldest son. It was not Rob's tutorial - it was before then. The 4-H sewing members made them during the state 4-H fashion revue competition. It was stuffed with torn bed sheets and was very heavy. I would suggest that you ask to see what outer fabric would work best for the child - some children are very texture sensitive. Our son hated the feel of minky and several other textures when he was at the age he used a weighted blanket. The weighted blanket that we had was just cotton fabric. Due to the size, there was no way that it could have ever been put in a washing machine but it was the perfect size for him. They sewed the fabric so it made tubes and the tubes were stuffed with the bed sheets. Depending upon how heavy was how big the blanket was and how many sheets were in it. To close the tubes, they used velcro so the weight could be adjusted as needed.

If you contact your local county extension office, they should be able to get you the pattern information for how 4-H makes theirs.

Here is web page with a picture of some of the weighted blankets. http://4h.missouri.edu/news/2012/fashionrevue12.htm

Comment

I made one for a friend and just used lots of layers...table clothes, flannel, heavy cottons and then I tied it. It weighed about 16 lbs and was about 50x60 inches. The child is using it and doing wel and it has been washed in a large laudrymatt washer
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

I would use the pellets and flannel... I am not making one out of sheets. Sil said they are expensive to buy.. but I figured supplies for the one I'd make would be 120.00. Of course she expects me to make it for free. I just have trouble with my shoulder that is quite painful.. I don't know if I want to wrestle with making a 14 pound quilt.

Comment

Google them. They are expensive but I think you can buy one for $120. Mine was for a baby about 18 months old. It is my understanding that the weight of the blanket should be at least 10 percent of the weight of the child. They sell them in different sizes. I decided on using the old table clothes because we have the restaurant and they get stained beyond use, so they were good for fillers and of course, soft and washable. I put colorful front and back panels on it and sent it to the mom to tie. I figured she could do that. I stitched around the edges and told her how to put the binding on it.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

Yes 10 percent of the body weight is normal but a few like it heavier. Check texture first before making it Kids with autism do have some rather extreme reactions to some textures and it very individual to each child. Many tutorials show the tube method and then pouring the pellets down the tube and sewing cross wise.

Its more time consuming but less stressful and easier on the sewing machine if you using pellets to make little pillows of cheap muslin with just a small opening after turning then use a funnel and pour them in. Whip stitch opening closed then drop those down the tubes and then sew across the quilt then you won't fight those pellets or get them under your needle. Much easier to handle basically like a little bean bag. And you create an extra barrier to keep them darn things were they are supposed to be.

If they like the feel of Minky I made mine out of it, I did the strip and flip method on the front with the back basted onto heavy batting. Your basically quilting as you put the strips on. I have done several and kids love them especially in the car. I used the high quality Minky or cuddle fabric from Shannon it has a much tighter weave and nap that most kids like to pet.
                  Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

I finished a weighted blanket this week for my grandson. I used polar fleece on one side and flannel on the other. I used the width of the flannel for the width of the blanket, and it is about 60 inches long. I cut both fabrics about the same size. I put right sides together and sewed the sides, and turned it right side out. I sewed one end shut by overlapping the fleece over the flannel. I then marked the fabric vertically so they were approximately 5 inches apart. After the tubes were sewed, I poured in plastic beads with a little bit of stuffing. Then I sewed 5 inches up on the tube to make a square. (The stuffing rather enfolds the beads so it is softer.) I ended up with 70 squares altogether. Then I sewed polar fleece over the top. I did use a small zig zag stitch. I'm terrible at posting pictures or I would show it off. I watched quite a few U tube videos before I decided how I wanted to do it. I used Rob's idea for making the squares 5 inches. Hope this isn't too long and makes sense.

Comment

Please, please, please..consult your nephews OT/PT therapist before making the blanket. I am a pre-k teacher who sometimes works with kiddos with special needs. There are certain guidelines to follow for the weight of the blanket. Most OT/PT therapists can also obtain these blankets for their clients. (Insurance may be involved for this tho).

Comment

I sent Rob's tutorial to my friend who wanted to make weighted blankets for the foster kid's her son and dil had. She loved Rob's tutorial and said it was so much easier than the way she'd been shown.
                        Patrice S

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                          Thanks, I didn't know this!! I thought I had read somewhere that you need to make pockets, then pouches to put the pellets in that you put in the pockets, so I thought they had to be removed.
                          prepare poly pouch pellet pockets, then proceed to produce poly pellet pouches to put the poly pouch pellets to place in the poly pouch poly pockets, Polly!

you made my day.
                          Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all! :icon_wave:

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by pharris123 View Post
                            prepare poly pouch pellet pockets, then proceed to produce poly pellet pouches to put the poly pouch pellets to place in the poly pouch poly pockets, Polly!

you made my day.
                            Hee hee hee-- very good one Pam! And welcome back we missed you!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by whimpysue View Post
                              Please, please, please..consult your nephews OT/PT therapist before making the blanket. I am a pre-k teacher who sometimes works with kiddos with special needs. There are certain guidelines to follow for the weight of the blanket. Most OT/PT therapists can also obtain these blankets for their clients. (Insurance may be involved for this tho).
                              Yes I am aware. Sams Aupair has one she uses with Sam and that is where she found out what she wanted made.

Comment

Working...
                              X