Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 'chunk' missing from my batting . . . is making me 'batty'!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A 'chunk' missing from my batting . . . is making me 'batty'!

If you baste the sandwich well, using your preferred method, shifting and puckers will be minimized, so that will help. If you begin quilting from the center of the quilt and work out, any excess material will naturally push outwards, and you can smooth it as you go. If you top stitch around the perimeter and then quilt it, you lose the ability to smooth any excess fabric as you quilt, so you'd wind up with bunched up fabric. I hope that makes sense.
    Anyway, 1.5-2" of batting is cutting it close but you should be fine on a DSM. The quilts that have a ton of extra batt never seem to need it and the ones where there isn't much wiggle room always seem to need more. It's like they somehow know...

Comment

If you have some fleece you can patch a piece of that in. It is about the same thickness and softness as the batting
      success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
      Terry of NC

Comment

Thanks Bev - - I've made a decision. Today we started putting the sandwich together keeping the extra at top and bottom even - then spray basted it together. So far, so good!
        Originally posted by Bjvarizona View Post
        You could always buy a small piece of the same brand/weight batting and use that for piecing. Essentially you would end up with batting it's original size. I think 1.5-2" on each side is enough. That is definately what I would do!
        NC sayin's from my mama n' daddy, a reminder, lest I forget:

~I’m gonna tan your hide. (You’re about to get a whoopin’.)
        ~set yourself down a spell ~~every day of the week n' twice on Sundays
        ~knock you clean into next week n' then some ~~deader than a door nail
        ~can't get blood from a turnip ~~your neck o'the woods
        ~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
        "B"

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post
          If you baste the sandwich well, using your preferred method, shifting and puckers will be minimized, so that will help. If you begin quilting from the center of the quilt and work out, any excess material will naturally push outwards, and you can smooth it as you go. If you top stitch around the perimeter and then quilt it, you lose the ability to smooth any excess fabric as you quilt, so you'd wind up with bunched up fabric. I hope that makes sense.
          Anyway, 1.5-2" of batting is cutting it close but you should be fine on a DSM. The quilts that have a ton of extra batt never seem to need it and the ones where there isn't much wiggle room always seem to need more. It's like they somehow know...
          Thanks Heather . . I was thinking that sewing the perimeter could create a problem, so I agree with 'bunching up at the ends'. We plunged in today and put the sandwich together and spray basted everything together, then pressed. No question we could be in trouble at the top and bottom . . with barely an inch to spare, but seem to have 3" or 4" on each side.

Would it matter if I work from the middle first going side to side with SITD along the block lines. My intuition says if I go side to side first this may lock things in and there would be less shifting when I then SITD top to bottom. Once that's done we'll probably shadow the logos/wording and such inside each block enough to stay with the recommended 3-1/2" apart. Fingers crossed!!

~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
          "B"

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
            If you have some fleece you can patch a piece of that in. It is about the same thickness and softness as the batting

Thanks grammaterry - - there's no end to what we'll do for Grands, huh?

So we've plunged in . . . to see how it goes. After spray basting we barely have an inch of batting top and bottom . . 3" or 4" each side. If we wind up in trouble, I may resort to your 'fleece' suggestion . . I do have fleece on hand . . our fingers are crossed!

"B"

Comment

Originally posted by bscuzz View Post

Would it matter if I work from the middle first going side to side with SITD along the block lines. My intuition says if I go side to side first this may lock things in and there would be less shifting when I then SITD top to bottom. Once that's done we'll probably shadow the logos/wording and such inside each block enough to stay with the recommended 3-1/2" apart. Fingers crossed!!
              I think this is the best way to deal with your problem.
              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I do not know if this will help you or not but if you have a BabyLock Embellisher or a sewing machine that has the felting capability, this is a great way to join pieces of batting:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vqa...em-subs_digest

Always nice to see new ways to use machines.

Happy Holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                  I do not know if this will help you or not but if you have a BabyLock Embellisher or a sewing machine that has the felting capability, this is a great way to join pieces of batting:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vqa...em-subs_digest

Always nice to see new ways to use machines.

Happy Holidays!
                  Thanks for the tip Snowbird. Actually I've never heard of a machine that does felting - no thread, just needle-punched together - very interesting! I watched several YT vids . . . seems a nice machine to have . . no idea what such a machine costs, would probably have to contact a dealer to find out. Agree . . nice to see new technology and what they do!

What I wound up doing was to use lightweight fusible strips and just fused the pieces together - worked out fine! Next step will be the quilting - wish us luck!

"B"

Comment

Thanks Sylvia - hopefully we'll soon know how this worked out . . we should be quilting over the weekend! Fingers crossed!

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                    I think this is the best way to deal with your problem.

"B"

Comment

Working...
                    X