I hope it gets easier!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope it gets easier!!

I was all excited about learning to quilt. Ive been watching the tutorials and thought I was ready. Does it get easier? I am having trouble just cutting the material?? lol

Re: I hope it gets easier!!

It does get easier. What exactly are you having problems with? Maybe we can help you. The big things about cutting fabric (for me) were having the right ruler and rotary cutter. I can't use the clear with black measurements..I had to get the clear with yellow measurements..and I needed an ergonomic rotary cutter so that I could hold it straight and cut properly.
    Michele

Comment

My ruler keeps slipping on my fabric. I found a group of ladies meeting at a local church to quilt tonight, so I am going to go and hopefully get some help. Another problem I have is I am extremly visually impaired. My hubby thinks Im crazy for wanting to quilt with limited vision! He just doesnt appreciate the beauty of quilts.

Mary

Comment

Don't get discouraged...my first quilt was really ugly and I didn't put it together or quilt it right but the more I learned and practiced the better I got.
        I am positive they sell something you can put on your ruler so it does not move.
        My biggest hint is iron, iron and iron. I would always want to skip this step to hurry things along but you have a much easier time if you iron.
        Remember too, if it does not turn out perfect....so what....most people won't even notice. If you are beating yourself up over what goes wrong it is not fun and quilting should be fun. Laugh and move on, finish it anyway, you just might be surprise how nice it turns out.
        Post some pics when you are done because we are your biggest cheerleaders and fans!!
        patti
        Patti
        "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

I know what you mean about the slipping. I'm making a quilt out of silk as a wedding present and the ruler just kept slip sliding all over the place. The lady at my local quilt shop recommended that I put sand paper dots on the back of my ruler and it's made all the difference!

You get sandpaper dots or rubber dots that have self-adhesive on the back (they have the clear rubber ones at MSQC Here). You just stick a couple on your ruler (make sure they don't interfere with the markings) and they grip the fabric.
          Quilting through the dull times
          northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

shell.scraps,
            I'm not sure what a ergonomic rotery cutter is...can you tell us the brand of rotery cutter you use. I can't use the ruler with black writing. I use the omnigrip ruler by omnigrid. I find it to be the easiest to see.I go slow when I'm cutting, and I do ok

Comment

Originally posted by pokeyrella22 View Post
              shell.scraps,
              I'm not sure what a ergonomic rotery cutter is...can you tell us the brand of rotery cutter you use. I can't use the ruler with black writing. I use the omnigrip ruler by omnigrid. I find it to be the easiest to see.I go slow when I'm cutting, and I do ok
              This is the kind of cutter I have...it's easier for my hands. I have some nerve issues and my arm falls asleep...this cutter keeps my arm in alignment when I'm cutting so I'm not cutting off my nerve in my elbow and making my hands numb.

http://missouriquiltco.com/shop/noti...ry-cutter.html
              Michele

Comment

I will definately try the sandpaper dots. I think I also need to slow down when I cut. I tend to get a little impatient! LOL

Comment

Impatience is definitely a problem with me. I sliced the edge of my finger off last weekend because I was trying to cut things in a hurry. Those rotary cutters are VERY sharp.
                  Quilting through the dull times
                  northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

JRchapman - hope the finger is doing OK now...

Some other ideas for easily using rulers, etc. I've learned that the frosted rules are much easier for me to use on all fabrics. The frosting seems to tone down the distraction of color and print in the fabric while still giving me good strong measurement lines to use. I also find that the frosted side provides a little extra non-slip assurance that the non-frosted rulers don't have...tho that's not why it's frosted.

Making sure you use a ruler size appropriate to what you are cutting is also good...Too small rulers tend to give unwanted angles to cuts as we have to progress the ruler along the cut lines and the too long rulers tend to slip as we try to cut further and further away from ourself. Even "walking" my hand along a long ruler can allow the ruler to slide out of alignment.

The name brand of cutter is not as important, to me, as having one that fits my hand - keep trying ones in the store till you find one that is comfortable. A friend purchased, at great expense, a new gingher ergonomic cutter and took it back, because it didn't fit her hand and made her wrist work...we both love gingher scissors so thought it would work well, but the rotary cutter was not for her.

AND make sure you have good, sharp blades. The minute your rotary blades get dull, replace them!! I think that trying to accommodate for dull blades by pushing harder on the cutter or going back and forth over the cutting line leads to errors in cutting (like moving rulers) and accidents like cutting off fingers!!! Ever notice that as you try to press harder to cut thru the fbric with a dull blade you also tend to press the cutter into the ruler? Than frequently leads to the ruler moving and bad cuts!!!

Comment

Wow, you sure have gotten some great advice and tips. I would suggest you try working with the precut fabrics. I haven't tried this yet, but I think it will get you excited about quilting and make your eye issue no big deal. The tutorials on this site are awesome and maybe you can change your project, start with something easy and work your way up! Keep at it and remember, we learn by doing and having fun! Keep us posted!

Comment

Depending on how bad your eye sight is, you can precut widths of heavy card stock to slide up and down your ruler to make sure that you have the right width and the ruler is the right distance from the edge of the fabric all the way along. Kind of like a template for the width of the strip. It's not perfect, but you can write on the paper in sharpie to make sure you know the measurements.
                        Omnigrid made some stuff called InvisiGRIP that you could put on the back of your rulers and templates to keep them from slipping. It is clear and lets you see everything. It sticks to the rulers like the window cling stuff. I wipe mine off every now and again to keep it grippy. It isn't super sticky so you can still move it along the the fabric while you measure. It came in a roll 12.5" wide and 36" long. I had plenty left over after I did my rulers.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel
                        because those who mind don't matter,
                        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your tips. As a new quilter, I need all the help I can get.
                          LOL
                          Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

regarding recommendation on using precuts...on another quilting site there has been a lengthy discussion about how poorly the pre-cuts are done...most of the problem areas have been with Hoffman Bali Strips...not correct width, etc. So Pre-cuts can be great, but be sure to check the package carefully when you get home...or even at the store..to make sure they're workable. No one on that discussion had any complaints about Moda strips, and some who had used Hoffmann had good luck, so nothing is sure!! except, as they say, death and taxes...

Comment

Originally posted by pmriley View Post
                              I will definately try the sandpaper dots. I think I also need to slow down when I cut. I tend to get a little impatient! LOL
                              I read somewhere on line recently that you can use drops of clear nail polish and sprinkle with fine sand and it's cheaper than buying the sandpaper dots on the bottom of your ruler.

Comment

Working...
                              X