Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Directional Pillowcase - Cuff on the Left or Right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directional Pillowcase - Cuff on the Left or Right?

This will probably be more of a personal preference question ..... I have several single cuts of directional material (different patterns) and was wondering when you make a child's bed with a single pillow on which side do you put the opening and cuff ?

The first one I made was race car material with all the cars facing either left or right. I put the opening and cuff on the right.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^cc
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^cc
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^cc

But now I'm second guessing myself. Would the cuff be better on the left?

cc^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    cc^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    cc^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I DO tend to over think things ... and need your help on this. And could you also let me know if you are right or left handed. (Curious to see if that would be an influence.) Thanks!

Re: Directional Pillowcase - Cuff on the Left or Right?

If there were two pillows on the bed, I would put one facing each direction. With only one pillow, I think it doesn't really matter.

Comment

I like the cuffs of our pillowcases toward the outside edge of the mattress. If you have a directional fabric for the body of the pillowcase (and if it really matters to you), you would put one cuff on the right and the other on the left. It's easier if you only use a directional print on the cuffs. If you are dealing with just one pillowcase, I would put the opening on the right side.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I also agree with Barb. Cuff on the right but could be because I am right handed? who knows. With 2 pillow on the bed the cuffs face the edges.
        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
        Sigmund Freud

Comment

To me, for one pillowcase, it depends on which side of the bed is facing the room (or which side the person gets in bed on) I like the cuff facing that edge of the bed.

Comment

Well, my opinion is - if it is going on a kid's bed it won't matter - sometimes it may be used to stash toys and sometimes they may take it off to make a cape . . .
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Instead of one piece of fabric for the body, use two pieces and make the "cars" go in different directions that way they can just flip the pillow to get it going the direction they want.
              Vonnie

Comment

At least you thought about this before you had the herd of elephants all marching the same direction with cuffs on the same side.

More than one pillow, cuffs to the edge of the mattress.
                One pillow, is the bed against the wall? If so to the edge of the bed away from the wall. If not, whichever way you want.
                Race cars running towards a checkerboard cuff finish line would be awesome!
                Be who you are and say what you feel
                because those who mind don't matter,
                and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

You would think I would have a definitive answer on this, but I don't. I really don't think it matters if the pattern is going towards, or away from the cuff. So Judy, my advice would be this....do it however you want, or which ever way it turns out....no need to over think this one GF.
                  Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                  sigpic

Comment

I guess it really doesn't matter if you're only using one pillow.....but some unknown reason I always put the cuff on the right.

Comment

I thought about this and decided to put a "cuff" on each side, and do the back with the opposite direction than the front. A couple extra seams, but the OCD in me would be happy.

(Only one opening for the pillow to be inserted with a "cuff", and a fake "cuff" where the bottom of the pillow would be- if that makes any sense.)
                      pillow.jpg
                      Attached Files

Comment

Phee, that looks pretty cool!
                        If you made an envelope back and sewed both ends, it would be a sham. I think that is what it is called.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and recommendations!

Vonnie - the 2 piece worked just fine! And I did add the black & white check that Toggpine suggested. Unfortunately I didn't have enough to make 2 cuffs like Pheestand showed ... but I'll definitely keep that in mind ... looks like it would work well even though it would take a bit more time to make.

Normally I wouldn't worry too much but the mom of the family is a bit obsessive and I really don't know what her preferences are ... and really didn't want to ask.

Comment

Ok. You know, the next time any of us who read this thread makes a pillow case, we are going to freak out a little if it is a single case and we have directional fabric, right?
                            Not that I'm not still a bit traumatized over the whole elephant thing.
                            Apparently, the commercial manufacturers don't give a dang-diddley either. The unicorns and rainbows on Em's flannel sheets would be flying upside down on one case if both cuffs faced out.

Comment

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
                              Thanks for the replies and recommendations!

Vonnie - the 2 piece worked just fine! And I did add the black & white check that Toggpine suggested. Unfortunately I didn't have enough to make 2 cuffs like Pheestand showed ... but I'll definitely keep that in mind ... looks like it would work well even though it would take a bit more time to make.

Normally I wouldn't worry too much but the mom of the family is a bit obsessive and I really don't know what her preferences are ... and really didn't want to ask.
                              I'm glad it worked out for you!

But, you did make me think about it and next time I make a pillowcase I will be making sure that the fabric, if it's directional, is going the correct way. I made a quilt top one time and I did not realize that one of the fabrics was directional. It was subtle, But it was very noticeable when stepping back from it. Luckily it was only half square triangles and only 3 of them were going the wrong way. And it was not quilted yet. I carefully ripped them out and replaced them. It was a pain, but it was one of those things I could not let go! And I'm not usually that picky!
                              Vonnie

Comment

Working...
                              X