Missouri Star Quilt help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missouri Star Quilt help

I was watching Jenny's youtube tutorial on how to make the Missouri Star Quilt. It looked easy. I bought the binding tool and a jelly roll pack and off I went. The tool is super easy and fast to use. The squares are going together quite nicely except for the triangles. They are not right! I have tried making the squares 8 7/8" like Jenny said but, are too small. I tried making them 9" and when I sew them on, they are still not right. I triple checked my 1/4" seam allowance and am point on. I don't know how to fix it. I took a pic of it but, I don't know how to post it here for you to see.

Re: Missouri Star Quilt help

That didn't look very easy to me. I haven't tried it yet. I bet someone will come along to help. There are some very talented quilters on here!

Comment

Jenny uses a generous 1/4" seam. If your seams are exactly 1/4", then your section that the triangles will be sewn to might be larger than hers so that you'll need a larger square to cut on the diagonal to make your triangles.
      *~* Myrna *~*
      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

That makes sense then. She said her square came out to 16" and mine came out slightly bigger. Thank you for your help.

Comment

I made this star 2 times but haven't made it into a quilt yet as I'm still pondering how I want to proceed with them. But I can point out some of the things to look out for:

1. Her cutting dimensions do work but you are working with several bias edges and I'm used to that from garment sewing.
          2. Make sure you take care of corners by pinning through intersections and putting that point exactly where you want it and then fit the rest with pins onto the seam. I had to rip a few times just because I wanted my points as best as I could get them.
          3. Take your time as it's a big block and follow her step by step by pausing the video after each step. I also wrote down the dimensions and took notes as I went along with the video.

Hope this helps somewhat. I'm not sure I made any sense but I'm trying to help. 2016 Missouri Star Block in ProgressA.JPGSamuel's Quilt 2016-10-27 002.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bunny9244 View Post
            I was watching Jenny's youtube tutorial on how to make the Missouri Star Quilt. It looked easy. I bought the binding tool and a jelly roll pack and off I went. The tool is super easy and fast to use. The squares are going together quite nicely except for the triangles. They are not right! I have tried making the squares 8 7/8" like Jenny said but, are too small. I tried making them 9" and when I sew them on, they are still not right. I triple checked my 1/4" seam allowance and am point on. I don't know how to fix it. I took a pic of it but, I don't know how to post it here for you to see.
            Just finishing up this quilt and did not run into any problems with the triangles. Because of the bias I did pin carefully.

Comment

I found I HAVE to pin. I was ok with the 2 1/2" block but, anything bigger, must be pinned! In the video, her square was 8 7/8" cut on the diagonal. My square has to 9 1/4" to come out right. Significant difference. Much to my surprise, the corners are lining up beautifully! Not sure how many times I have watched the video, stopped, started, etc. as this is my first time trying to make a quilt top this way. I did make a note about the square size for the next time. If I can figure out how to put a pic in here, I'll do that.

Jenny has a way of making everything look easy in her videos. lol

Thank you all for your input. It's much appreciated!
              Lynda

Comment

I am glad you were able to get some help. And WELCOME from Canada.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

thank you for the welcome

Comment

I don't think I could do 8 3/8 or 2 3/8 cuts accurately so I just don't do quilts that require that type of cutting. Too many quilt patterns out there so it is easy for my to avoid those with with that type of cuts. But I do wish you the best of luck.
                    Have a blessed day
                    Pam[/I]
                    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

IMG_0483.jpg

Here's a pic of the Missouri Star quilt I'm working on. The 9 1/4" square for triangles is working out great!

Comment

IMG_0483.jpg

Here is a pic of the Missouri Star Quilt I'm working on. The 9 1/4" square for the triangles is working out great.

Comment

Wow, that is amazing! Pretty sure I won't be doing that!

Comment

Wow that's beautiful
                            Have a blessed day
                            Pam[/I]
                            [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

That is going to be beautiful. However that is not a Missouri Star Quilt...it is the binding star quilt, which is a Missouri Star Quilt Co. tutorial.
                              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X