Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt Top

Hi everyone, I wish all your holidays bright and peaceful.

Last night I watched Jenny's tutorial on her vintage blocks. That reminded me I have not finished mine so I dug it out of closet and took couple pictures to show you. Mine is done a little different as you will see from the pictures. I'm just waiting for someone to tell me how to finish the sides to make the top square or does it need to be squared off. The fabric I used may not be called vintage, just leftovers thru the years. Every hexagon I used fleece batting. Been too many years for me to remember. I got this pattern idea from a dear friend of mine living in MO. Neither one of us know how to quilt and we're afraid to send it out. I'd welcome any suggestions.
    Second picture is the back.
    Grandmother's Flower Garden top 01.JPGGrandmother's Flower Garden back.JPG

Grandmother's Flower Garden top 03.JPG
    Last edited by LindaKay75; December 10, 2016, 11:12 AM. Reason: Adding picture
    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Re: Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt Top

It's beautiful Linda. I believe the sides would have to cut to square it up, someone correct me if I am wrong.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Oh, that's gorgeous. Why are you afraid to send it out to be quilted?

Comment

I made one of these and kept the edge and turned it under a 1/4 inch and whipped stitched it closed. It has lasted and keeps the shape of the block. If you quilt it with this method keep that in mind and stay away from the 1/4 inch edge.
        Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

That is just beautiful!!

Comment

Beautiful quilt!
            Cindy

Comment

Gorgeous quilt and a great job,congratulations

Comment

I saw one of these quilts -- a vintage one -- at a quilt show. The maker did not put a straight edge on it. All the little white hexis formed the border. Maybe I can locate the pic.Long. Quilt Guild Show - Oct. 2014 055.jpgLong. Quilt Guild Show - Oct. 2014 056.jpg It was a similar pattern, but the flower baskets rather than the garden.

Comment

grandmotherflowergarden.jpgI made this one 35 years ago. They are 1 inch hexigons that I cut with scissors and cardboard template. It is all completely done by hand. No machine work at all. I just took the hexigons out to the side and made it square and put a binding on it. Probably not the way it should have been done but...my quilt, my rules.
                  Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                  Terry

Comment

I am making one by hand right now and have also been researching how to finish the
                    sides. I will be adding extra white hexigons to make the sides as even as possible
                    and then trimming it straight. I don't think there are right or wrong ways to finish.
                    Check out Pinterest to see how some were quilted. There are so many to admire,
                    yours is lovely!

Comment

I think these GFG quilts are just incredible. I would not have the patience for that in a million years. I can't imagine even cutting the pieces out, much less sewing them all together. They sure are beautiful to look at though.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                        I saw one of these quilts -- a vintage one -- at a quilt show. The maker did not put a straight edge on it. All the little white hexis formed the border. Maybe I can locate the pic.[ATTACH=CONFIG]137832[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]137833[/ATTACH] It was a similar pattern, but the flower baskets rather than the garden.
                        How beautiful the flower baskets. Are those yo-yos? I think it looks fine without the straight edge. Maybe I should consider leaving mine as is.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                          I think these GFG quilts are just incredible. I would not have the patience for that in a million years. I can't imagine even cutting the pieces out, much less sewing them all together. They sure are beautiful to look at though.
                          Oh yes you could do this. I've seen your other work and you do have the patience! I did this all by hand, no sewing at all.

Comment

Working...
                          X