Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backstitch your topstitching??? How to secure it all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backstitch your topstitching??? How to secure it all.

You lovely ladies helped me with my cutting question today.

I will be making the quilt top today, but once I am ready to actually quilt the top, batting, and back, I was wondering what the best method was to secure the stitching. I plan to sew in the ditch and then maybe do some straight line stitching. This is my very first quilt, and I will be using a walking foot.

I read that some people do not like back stitching. Won't my batting cover that?

Otherwise, I read some methods to do tiny stitches in the beginning and then knot...seems complicated. I just do not want the quilt to come apart. It is for our fourth baby, who is due next month. I am sure I'll be washing the quilt quite a bit.

Thanks again!

Re: Backstitch your topstitching??? How to secure it all.

I do two back stitches to start and finish a line with my walking foot with out any problems. Have washed those quilts and they hold up well. Any method that works for you is the right one.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

You have many options. Some machines have a tacking feature that you can use at the beginning and ending of quilting rows/lines. It is similar to starting with a few very small stitches and ending with a few very small stitches.

I often start and stop my quilt stitching off the quilt top. Then when I trim and bind the quilt, the end of the stitches have been covered by the binding. I will even travel a bit, off of the quilt, but on the batting and backing, to get to another area to quilt. Of course, I have to have been doing some kind of edge to edge quilting to do this.

My favorite method - and probably the most time consuming - is to bury the stitches. At the beginning I bring the bobbin thread up to the top, and leave a length of about 3 inches for both bobbin and top thread. I will knot these threads and then bury them between the top and the batting. When I get to the end of what I am quilting, I cut the threads, but again with about a 3 inch tail. At the end, I have to first bring the top thread to the back, then I knot and bury the thread. I love using "cheater" or self threading needles to do this.

Here are some instructions on how to bury your threads. http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...-quilting.html
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Of all the quilts I have made, I have never back stitched and I have never had problems.
        Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

What Sylvia said. She's summed it up well for you. Any of those methods are fine, and you don't need to get all fussy and bury every thread for a utility type quilt. Since you are using the walking foot to quilt that just lends itself to starting right at the edge so the stitching will be under the binding.

Comment

I don't back stitch anything. When piecing, I use a leader. Then finishing I sew several stitches off the end so the thread won't unravel. When doing SITD quilting with the walking foot, I start/stop off the edge; that will be covered with the binding. However.... if I'm starting or stopping somewhere in the middle of the quilt, I shorten the stitch to 0.5 or 1.0 at the beginning & end. I usually quilt at 3.0 length.

Comment

If I'm not starting/finishing off the edge, I will back stitch about two stitches. With my machine it is easier to do that than change my stitch length.
              If you are off the edge, then your stitches will be caught in the binding and secured.
              In the end, it is whatever works the best for you with your equipment.
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
              X