Question about needle size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about needle size

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and have been quilting less than three years. My previous quilts have all been made using 50wt thread and straight line quilting, however, the one I'm making now is SPECIAL! It's for my daughter and I found the perfect thread for the quilting...but it's 40wt. I'll be stitching in the ditch as well as FMQ. The fabric is Batik and the batting is Quilter's Dream 80/20 Cotton/Poly. I have no idea what needle to use. Various web sites suggest topstitching, metallic or universal needles in sized 12 or 14. I need to ask those who actually quilt. What needle should I use? Do I need different needles for FMQ and Stitch in the Ditch? Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm so glad winter is here and I can hibernate inside, cuddled next to my machine with coffee, chocolate and music.
    Barbara

Re: Question about needle size

Here is a little information on needles. http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut..._101__D87.html

Another site to check out is Superior Threads. They have a great Information section.

For your project, I would be using #90 topstitch needles. You need a #90 because of the 40 weight thread (heavier than 50 weight). You are also quilting through batik, which is a denser fabric than regular cotton. The topstitch needle is the best to go through that fabric.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Re: Question about needle size

good things to know
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

Working...
      X