Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How strict are the "quilt up to X inches apart" instructions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How strict are the "quilt up to X inches apart" instructions?

Hi,

I'm quilting square diamonds onto my quilt, and the side of each square is about 5 inches, but the distance from the north point to the south point is around 9 inches. I'm using Quilter's Dream cotton batting, and it says to confidently stitch up to 8 inches apart. Will this be an issue in the middle of my diamonds?

Thanks,
    Alisha

Re: How strict are the "quilt up to X inches apart" instructions?

I think it might depend on how much use and how frequent the washing will be for this quilt. If it's for a bedspread on a grown-up's bed, you can probably get by with more spaced out quilting. If it's for a baby or kid quilt, I would want the quilting to be a little closer together, to withstand the frequent washing.

Comment

I agree. I use Hobbs 80/20. The stitching needs to be no further than 3-4" apart. Follow the guidelines on your batting instructions. A well-used quilt definitely will need closer quilting.

Comment

I personally wouldn't worry about an inch. Do you have extra batting to make a sample?
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

It's a throw that I imagine will not be washed too terribly often, but I hate to put all this work in just to have a problem down the road. I do have some extra fabric and batting that I can make a practice quilt with a wash. Thanks!

Alisha

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
            I agree. I use Hobbs 80/20. The stitching needs to be no further than 3-4" apart. Follow the guidelines on your batting instructions. A well-used quilt definitely will need closer quilting.
            This raises a question for me as well. I am about to quilt a full size sports fan quilt with 10 inch squares. Every other square has applique in the center that I do not want to quilt over. The applique is 6 inches wide and 3 inches tall in the center of those particular squares (45 of them). I can quilt above it and below it and on either side. The other squares, I can quilt any way. This is for an older gentleman and I have no idea how he will use it other than for "show" on a spare bed. Thoughts?

Comment

Can you make an inconspicuous bar tack in the appliqué somewhere?
              It doesn't have to be huge, just an anchor point to keep the layers together. A couple of small ones will secure it, but not distract from the design. Kind of like tying, but with no loose ends to attract attention.
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

That is exactly what I was thinking to do. Thank you for affirming my thought!

Comment

Working...
                X