Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I messed up on cutting my squares - some are too small...others are almost right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I messed up on cutting my squares - some are too small...others are almost right.

Hi everyone,

I am finally starting on my baby-to-be's crib quilt. I decided on an "easy" project using FQs. Basically, you take 7 FQs and cut them into 8.5" squares. Then you save the scraps and another FQ for binding. Well, I used a rotary cutter, ruler, and mat to cut the squares. I still ended up with uneven squares - some are a little smaller than 8.5 inches on certain sides.

It says to use a 1/4" seam allowance to piece these together.

What would you do? I am okay with it not being perfect, but is this going to turn into a huge problem?

I am a novice. Thank you in advance!

Re: I messed up on cutting my squares - some are too small...others are almost right.

Welcome to the forum and the world of quilting !

No worries - you can make this work! I would recommend finding the smallest of your squares, square it up and then trim down all of your other squares to be that same size.

Comment

Re: I messed up on cutting my squares - some are too small...others are almost right.

This is what I find the horrible thing about quilting...it involves precise measuring and cutting. Yes, your measurements being off will affect the whole thing. What I would do and I am not an expert at all, but what I would do is...make a 7 and 3/4 inch square on cardboard or a template-making thin mylar (I got mine at from Jo-Ann Fabrics), and with a removable marking pen, draw around it into the center of the blocks you cut. That line will be your new seam line. But wait for the expert quilters to give you answers as I think they'll know better than me!

Comment

Ok, thank you! I am slightly worried about messing up more squares...but hopefully this will go better now. I only have a 12x12 cutting mat. Probably was a mistake to buy something so small!

Comment

Originally posted by I<3coffee View Post
          Ok, thank you! I am slightly worried about messing up more squares...but hopefully this will go better now. I only have a 12x12 cutting mat. Probably was a mistake to buy something so small!
          You need to buy a Christmas present for yourself and get a new mat!
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

lol I do! Or suggest it to my husband and insist he uses a coupon at the crafting store!

Comment

Its going to be fine. Lay your ruler on top of the fabric you are cutting, not beside it. It will stabilize it better that way. Now, take a deep breath...Measure them to 8 inches. Your quilt will be fine. The baby will love it. Do you have a long enough ruler? That will make a difference.
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

Anyone know of a good video she can watch showing how to use a rotary cutter and mat? Sounds like she is not holding her rotary cutter straight but letting it wobble.
                Vonnie

Comment

the instructor in my first quilting class was didn't teach us how to use rotory cutter. On one of my stays in Houston I paid to have 2 private lessons just cutting. one of my best investments!! See if you can find some one to show you the ins and outs.
                  "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                  Hillary Clinton

Comment

Here are a few.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTjieScnCJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVWY26uSlzk
                    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Monique, I ended up cutting a square on my Cricut machine and then using that as a template. I think the squares are much better now! Thank you.

Comment

Marta, than you for those links - and I can definitely see why those lessons were well worth it. I feel like with clothing, you can fix a lot of mistakes. But I really want to get into quilting. I thought, oh, maybe I should buy pre cuts, but then I searched this forum and saw that those sometimes aren't even cut evenly!

Comment

Originally posted by I<3coffee View Post
                          Monique, I ended up cutting a square on my Cricut machine and then using that as a template. I think the squares are much better now! Thank you.
                          Welcome! Congrats on your baby. You will love your Cricut for appliqué with your quilts. Press your fabric, apply fusible two-sided stabilizer (Wonder-Under or Steam-a-Seam work great!). Lay fabric-side down on your Cricut met and cut, using your deep-cut blade.
                          Barbara
                          http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

The downside to using precuts....sometimes they are not cut right. So at the top of the square it may be 9 inches but at the bottom of the same side it may be 8 7/8ths. Like many have said, just trim down the ones you have cut to all be the same size and it will come out fine.
                            Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thank you! I actually used my Cricut to make an applique for my daughter's birthday shirt most recently... It did so well.

Comment

Working...
                              X