Self healing quilting mats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self healing quilting mats

Hi... does anyone have suggestions on the best self healing quilting mat to get? Also, is it better to have a larger or smaller one, or does it really matter? Thanks for any thoughts.

Re: Self healing quilting mats

I have a 24 x 36" Olfa (am now working on the reverse side without the ruler marks before getting a new one). This is a nice size to cut yardage; I have it at the end of a long table, so I am able to cut from 3 sides of the mat.

I plan to get an 18 x 24" mat also because I started power cutting in the last several months and it looks like it will be convenient for that. Here's a video on power cutting:

http://whoradio.iheart.com/articles/...ML&mid=1071343

I have heard many people on the forum talk about their love of Martelli rotary cutters and mats. I do not use these products, but would not hesitate to purchase them based on the product info I have seen and the recommendations from the forum members here.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

I love my 24 x 18 Fiskars mat, but am not able to locate another like it. The best thing about this mat, in my opinion, is the fact that I can turn the mat and still work from right to left. The new ones only allow me to work right to left in one position. If I rotate the mat 180 degrees, I have to work left to right, and I don't do that....grrrr! AND, my existing (deteriorating rapidly!) mat is two-sided...it's like 4 mats in one to me. Well, I suppose THAT is why they've changed the printing...I purchased that mat about 5 years ago.
      Barbara
      http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

I have 3 sizes of Olfa mats and have been using them for 13 years. They are in amazing condition, considering I have made over 30 quilts with them.

Comment

I have recently switched over to Olfa mats after reading reviews in this forum. Am using an 18"x24" as my main because I lack the room to have the 36"x24". The 18"x24" is still a nice size and pretty easy to turn when you want to clean up an edge and then flip/turn to the other end. The only negative I can say to the Olfas is, as others have mentioned in the forum, the newer Olfa mats kind of stink at first. It has gotten less over time and putting them in sunlight helped. Would love to try the Martelli mats sometime, but right now budget does not allow. Also I do use Creative Grids rulers, not Olfa rulers.

Comment

Lori Holt has mats now, I haven't tried one but they're so cute I'm tempted. What I have are two Clover mats, one 24x36 and the other 12x18 (or thereabouts). They are a great neutral green, and I hate green mats but find their minty color very pleasing and every color is visible on them. They grip the fabric, but not too much. Mine still look new, cuts just don't show. Best thing is that the reverse side is free of lines or any markings. They have a hanging tab, I keep mine on the wall and often just reach for the small mat to work at my sewing table. Amazon often has them on sale, I may have paid $25 and $12 respectively, and they are high quality like anything made by Clover.

Comment

I've had Olfa mats, Altos mats, Fiskars mats, but the ones I like best are the Martelli mats. They off them 1/2 price various times throughout the year, and it is worth it to wait for the sales. Many people post here when Martelli run their sales. I like the 24" by 36" best. I also have the big one, but the 24" x 36" is the most practical size.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaMama View Post
                I have a 24 x 36" Olfa (am now working on the reverse side without the ruler marks before getting a new one). This is a nice size to cut yardage; I have it at the end of a long table, so I am able to cut from 3 sides of the mat.

I plan to get an 18 x 24" mat also because I started power cutting in the last several months and it looks like it will be convenient for that. Here's a video on power cutting:

http://whoradio.iheart.com/articles/...ML&mid=1071343

I have heard many people on the forum talk about their love of Martelli rotary cutters and mats. I do not use these products, but would not hesitate to purchase them based on the product info I have seen and the recommendations from the forum members here.
                your link didn't take me to a power cutting tut......

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndaj View Post
                  I have 3 sizes of Olfa mats and have been using them for 13 years. They are in amazing condition, considering I have made over 30 quilts with them.
                  Thanks to all of you who helped with this question...I now feel I can make an informed decision...

Comment

Thanks again to all of you for your help....

Comment

I have a Quilters Select mat where the numbers run both left to right and right to left. It's double sided too.

Comment

Working...
                      X