Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both top and bobbin threads showing on BOTH sides of quilt

Hi,

I'm new to quilting (and sewing), and I'm trying to use two different threads (cream in the top and brown in the bobbin) on a quilt, and I can't seem to find the correct tension setting so that neither thread shows through the other side. The best I've been able to achieve is to have the top thread mostly cream with just a tiny dot of brown here and there, and bits of cream dots on the back. I've adjusted both the bobbin and top thread dials repeatedly (one at a time, recording each test as I go); I've cleaned the machine as best I know how, and I've re-threaded everything a million times. If one side is right, the other is always wrong. What do I do?

Alisha

Re: Both top and bobbin threads showing on BOTH sides of quilt

First its not you. It is almost impossible to have either the top or bottom thread show occasionally. It should not show consistently. If it does then you have two choices. Use a thicker batting so you have more depth to hide where the thread meets, or use the same color thread on both the top and the bottom.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Once the quilt is washed most of those little imperfections you see now will disappear!
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Hi Alisha and Welcome

Jeannette

Comment

I agree with the idea of the washing "puffing" the threads to the right sides. I find I have to decide which look I can live with until I finish and can wash or at least dryer fluff it.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I recently had the same problem while stitching in the ditch with black thread on top and white on the bottom. Adjusting the tension didn't help and I can only adjust the top thread. If there is a way to adjust the bobbin tension on my machine, I have no instructions for doing it. Finally I switched to Bottom Line white thread in the bobbin and that mostly fixed the problem. Good luck.

Comment

I have found that when I use cotton batting, this can be an issue. (I don't have the same issues with less dense, poly) I have found that a thinner thread in the bobbin - a 'bottomline' type 60 weight helps immensely! Hope this may be of help to you

Comment

Good info. I will soon be quilting using variegated thread on top with a solid on the bottom. So, if I can't wash it afterwards, will just putting it in the dryer and fluffing it help?
                Vonnie

Comment

Well, you can either fiddle with this as long as you sew, or you can become one of the beige people.

Another thing to check when you have any thread or tension problem is how your spool is wound. If it's an old fashioned stack wound spool, it needs to be on a vertical spool pin. If it's crosswound, it goes on a horizontal spool pin. The tread can twist and even jerk if it's pulled off the spool the wrong way. Sometimes it's just easiest to avoid any issue by using a thread stand. If your spool jerks around sometimes, your tension can't be even.

Comment

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate all the feedback!

Comment

Are you using cotton thread? Poly has more give (stretch) and may not give the best quilting results. You may also want to try a different size needle. I always make a sample, using the same fabrics and batting for testing the threads and needles; this may help solve your problem.

Best wishes for many successful projects.

Comment

Working...
                      X