Is Tying Wimpy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Tying Wimpy?

I've made a good-size quilt (60x72) as a gift for my wonderful sister. I was going to have it professionally quilted but aside from expense, my sister said it would mean a lot if the quilt were entirely done by me.

I have no real machine quilting skill and was thinking of hand tying it instead.

Is that the wimpy way out? I'd love to get it finished before the holidays.

If it helps the pattern was the Tea Cup from one of the M* Block books.

Thanks!

Re: Is Tying Wimpy?

No, it's not wimpy. Some quilt designs are perfect for tying. Use a pretty perle cotton and consider the tying a part of the overall look, not just a means to hold the quilt together.
    I have seen buttons used for this purpose, too. Gives it a homespun look, I think.

Comment

Here's a nice article on tying

https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/04...utm_campaign=0
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Not at all wimpy, and your sister will love it all the more because it's 100% you!

Just be sure to choose a batting that allows for the "quilting" to be further apart. It should say on the package how close together the stitching should be, the bigger the number the better for tying. But still try to keep your knots close together! I would definently stay away from the puffy polyester stuff.

Other members may be able to suggest a good batting to use.

Comment

When I made my first few bed size quilts, I didn't know how to FMQ so I tacked with my machine at strategic points as if I was tying. I did the tacking about every 5" right in the seam ditch. These quilts aren't heavily used, but they've been washed and survived. I actually went back and put a completed tacked quilt on my longarm after I got that and re quilted around the tacks. I figured, what did I have to lose? It worked out fine.

Comment

No not wimpy at all. Some quilts are better tied. I recently finished a lapsized quilt that I used both batting and fleece as the backing.
            Tying gave it such a cozy/comfy look that I would not get with quilting
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I loved sleeping over at my paternal grandparents . Every bed had a scrappy , hand tied quilt. All made by my great aunts in the mid to late 1800's.
              "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
              Hillary Clinton

Comment

Not at all. My grandmother and greAt grandmother tied their quilts and some of them are still in use.
                Wendy
                http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

Originally posted by dnharrison View Post
                  I've made a good-size quilt (60x72) as a gift for my wonderful sister. I was going to have it professionally quilted but aside from expense, my sister said it would mean a lot if the quilt were entirely done by me.

I have no real machine quilting skill and was thinking of hand tying it instead.

Is that the wimpy way out? I'd love to get it finished before the holidays.

If it helps the pattern was the Tea Cup from one of the M* Block books.

Thanks!
                  I agree that it is not wimpy! I think we MAY need to see a picture of your quilt (top) so we can take a peek....(because we LOVE to see quilt pics!).

Your sister will treasure no matter how YOU finish her quilt.
                  Barbara
                  http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

No not wimpy. I can't FMQ and I can't tie either, too hard on my back.
                    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Thank you all for your encouragement! I love the idea of buttons and the article on tying was great. I will definitely post a picture soon.

Comment

The quilts I made when I was a teenager were all tied. That's how my Aunt and Grandmother taught me. Also, we hemmed the quilts. Never even heard of binding or batting until I retired and started taking classes. We used wool blankets bought from Goodwills or Salvation Army and used that inplace of batting.

Also, prayer quilts are tied. Each person says a little prayer while tying the quilt.
                        Vonnie

Comment

Just wanted to add, many years ago I was told to use an index card to space out ties. I used that for years until I started buying charm packs. The cardboard square makes a nice guide, too. I usually use floss or crochet cotton to tie.
                          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

When I do a tie quilt, I use acrylic yarn. Some quilt designs lend themselves better to tie quilts than others, but there's no hard and fast rule. As other people have said, pay attention to the spacing required by your batting - a wider spacing is preferred. Tie quilts also look better with batting that has a higher loft.

Comment

My favorite heirloom quilt is tied!

Howard gen quilt 1 (800x450).jpgHoward gen quilt 2 (800x429).jpg
                              Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X