Backing side up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing side up

I have an unusual question-is there any reason that I can't machine quilt my lap quilt with the backing side on top? My fabric on the back is easier to mark my pattern on then the quilt top. I do realize that I will need to make sure I have the machine threaded correctly since I will be using 2 different colors of thread. Any help in answering this question will be appreciated.

Re: Backing side up

No reason why you can't. Just make sure your tension is good on both sides.

Comment

If it is an all over pattern that doesn't rely on the blocks for placement, then I'd say go for it!
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

As long as your tension is ok, it works great. Be careful around the edges though since the front is typically smaller than the back and you can't see if it folds over.

Some people quilt around the design of the backing fabric to get an allover design on the front.

Comment

There are no quilt police to tell you otherwise.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I did a small quilt that way since I wanted to use a sparkly fat thread to quilt it. I could only use that thread in the bobbin therefore I needed to quilt from the back. It worked great, no problems at all.

Comment

Another good question has been asked and great answers given, thanks to all

Comment

I did it once because it seemed I was getting a lot of drag from the front. The backing was more smooth and the seams weren't interfering with my fmq. So if you want to, go for it.
                Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                Terry

Comment

I occasionally get puckers on the back and I certainly would not want those on the topside of the quilt. That alone would prevent me from doing it.
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Yes. I have done it. You can see it in the post.

http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/...hallenges.html
                    Preeti
                    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by katier825 View Post

Some people quilt around the design of the backing fabric to get an allover design on the front.
                      That is a great idea! May have to give it a try sometime.

Love "Sun City" Preeti!
                      Last edited by dwil23; December 7, 2016, 09:56 PM.
                      Donna

Comment

I had/have a book called Quilting from the Backside. Basically if you just need an all over pattern you could use whatever was on the backing as your quilting design. There were examples of using large florals, plaids, stripes , etc. I've only done it on a small quilt and it worker great.

Comment

In a FMQ class I took, quilting on the back of the quilt was discussed. The instructor gave us a sample of a floral fabric. We were told to quilt on the back side around the flowers. The design looked very nice on the front of the quilt. One disadvantage I can see from quilting on the back would be you can't see where the seams meet, where there would be heavier thickness, or where the edge of your quilt top is. I personally have never quilted on the back, but there's no reason why you can't.

Comment

Working...
                          X