Question about making a denim/blue jean quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about making a denim/blue jean quilt

For those of you that have made one whether a rag or regular type quilt, how did you put it together? I know no batting is normally used cos' it doesn't need it. Did you baste the layers together or use spray basting? I'm making my 1st & before I go insane trying to quilt it I figured to save my sanity for something else. Basically, I have squares that aren't all the same size but hoping that won't make any difference in how I get the 2 layers together. I had planned just do the STID method between the rows so nothing fancy here.

Do I need to press the seams between the squares? What about the rows? I like flannel for the back & I'm hoping my first attempt in a blue jean quilt won't be my last....I have a LOT of blue jeans cut apart

Hope my rambling post makes sense. Just starting on this project as a "in between" one.

Thanks
    Gina

Re: Question about making a denim/blue jean quilt

I would cut flannel pieces the same size as your various sized blocks, do a simple X across the two layers, join my blocks with the flannel backing face to face and sew a 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch seam and then clip and do a rag quilt. You are right, no batting would be needed - it will be quite heavy enough.

If you want to use a solid piece of flannel then I'd sew the right sides together on the denim, press the seams open, piece the whole top and then do an envelope type to attach the backing. This would sure look great as a tied quilt using either embroidery floss or Perle cotton to tie. If you wanted to do actual quilting a simple stitch in the ditch would work, too.

Let your imagination run wild and have fun. I had a friend who used the back side of jeans (complete with pockets, et al) and made a jean quilt for her grandson. She put little hot wheels cars and other fun things in the pockets and accented the quilt with red bandana fabric. And then she found out she was going to have a new granddaughter so she put dolls in the pockets and used eyelet and lace for trim on the denim. Both were way too cute.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Last denim quilt I made, I just cut simple 6 inch squares. Sewed them together using a 1/2" seam allowance, then pressed the seams open. Then using a pretty gold thread, I stitched the seams 1/4" from the seam. I did this with the top upside down so I could make sure the seams stayed flat and open. This also kept the seams that way. When I finished that, I pieced enough left over minky scraps to make the back and did a simple tacking stitch in the center of each block. Then I trimmed the backing 2" all around the quilt top. Then brought the back over and folded it down 1 inch and machine stitched it down on the quilt top. In other words, I hemmed it. This quilt gets tossed around a lot and is also a car quilt. It has been washed several times and does not look it. Pretty good for a quilt made out of old jeans and left over minky scraps.
      Vonnie

Comment

I pinned and it is not pretty. I was out of town and did not have a good place to do it so I should have waited. I did sid but I am going to have to do something more for the larger squares. I backed with a good cotton backing fabric. It is a throw size and has black kona 1" strips in between each square. The squares are all diff sizes. I used my son's old jeans so I will gift it to him when I am done

Comment

Love that idea for the girl quilt! I also used the pockets and little labels from different brands. ;-)

Comment

Keep in mind a denim quilt is very heavy.
            So keep it small.

Comment

I just cut 5" squares, stitched them all together, wrong sides together, and clipped the seams a la rag quilt. One layer, less weight, and looks equally good from either side.

Comment

Working...
              X