Needle Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needle Size

What type/size needle do you use for piecing quilt tops? I usually buy Schmetz brand, but somehow ended up with a half dozen different sizes 70/10, 80/12 etc and varieties ranging from sharps to universals. The more I research online, the more confused I get. I use Aurifil 50wt thread. So, if you told me one needle size and type to use, what would it be?

Thanks!

Re: Needle Size

I pretty much use anything. I try not to use a denim needle or anything large but there were times I used them as a last resort. I used to use Singer needles but found they got dull quickly so now I try to only use Schmetz.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

An 80/12 needle is just right for the Aurifil 50 weight thread. For piecing, you can use either the universal or the sharp. (I am using up my universals for piecing. Then I will just buy sharps or microtex). The sharps are best for quilting. The difference is in the point of the needles.

The difference between the size of the needles has to do with the size of thread used and the size of a hole created by the needle. You want the hole to be about the same size as the thread, although after washing, those holes do seem to close a bit.
      Last edited by Sylvia H; December 2, 2016, 09:09 AM.
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I usually use a 12 universal to piece with cotton thread either from MSQC or Masterpiece.

Comment

Thank you! THAT is what I needed to hear. Even after reading over and over, somehow the thread/needle size connection just never made it to my brain, lol. Finally, it makes sense. You're a gem!

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
            An 80/12 needle is just right for the Aurifil 50 weight thread. For piecing, you can use either the universal or the sharp. (I am using up my universals for piecing. Then I will just buy sharps or microtex). The sharps are best for quilting. The difference is in the point of the needles.

The difference between the size of the needles has to do with the size of thread used and the size of a hole created by the needle. You want the hole to be about the same size as the thread, although after washing, those holes do seem to close a bit.
            Thank you! THAT is what I needed to hear. Even after reading over and over, somehow the thread/needle size connection just never made it to my brain, lol. Finally, it makes sense. You're a gem!

Thanks again!

Comment

I use Inspira's quilting 75 needles. They're a bit sharper & the eye of the needle is a little larger. If I'm sewing on batiks, I use a Microtex needle. The 80/12's are fine, too, but the smaller eye is harder to thread, esp. if you don't have a needle threader on your machine. I use 50 wt. all cotton thread which I buy in the large cones.

Comment

I use schemtz also. I have universals in 12, quilting in 12 or 14 and microtex in 12 so I could use any of those I think. I am fixing to order some embrodery needles and was thinking I would get some smaller needles just for light weight sewing other than piecing but I don't know what size.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                  I use Inspira's quilting 75 needles. They're a bit sharper & the eye of the needle is a little larger. If I'm sewing on batiks, I use a Microtex needle. The 80/12's are fine, too, but the smaller eye is harder to thread, esp. if you don't have a needle threader on your machine. I use 50 wt. all cotton thread which I buy in the large cones.
                  I am not familiar with Inspira, but with other needles, the #70 is smaller than the #80. I am guessing that Insperia needles are numbered differently, if the 75 is larger than the 80. BTW - I haven't mastered my daughter's semi-auto needle threader on her Brother machine. So, when Izzy and I sew together, Izzy has the job of threading the needle.
                  If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I appreciate the lesson as well. I read about them and then I come away confused. I have been using Schmetz needles for as long as I remember but always just buy the assorted universal pack and put whatever comes next into the machine. I figured some of the time I would have the right one. lol
                    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                    Terry

Comment

Sylvia & other quilters ~ Inspira needles are numbered the same. A #75 is smaller than the 80 or 90. I like the quilting needles because of it having the bigger eye & a more sharp point. Inspira is the brand my LQS carries, so that's what I use. They come in a 5-pack. When I started quilting, I used Schmetz brand, but I no longer use them.

Additional Info. ~ I decided to do a Google search on this topic. I found 3 interesting articles about various needles, their uses, etc.
                      - Connecting Threads has an article: "Machine Sewing Needles 101"
                      - Generations: "Sewing Machine Guide for Quilters"
                      - quiltbug.com: "Choosing the Right Sewing Machine Needle"

A "universal" needle can be used for both woven fabrics as well as knits. It won't be as sharp as a quilting needle. I remember early on I was buying universal needles & was told by a more experienced quilter that I should use quilting needles. I think that's when I made the switch.
                      Last edited by JCY; December 2, 2016, 09:39 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                        Sylvia & other quilters ~ Inspira needles are numbered the same. A #75 is smaller than the 80 or 90. I like the quilting needles because of it having the bigger eye & a more sharp point. ...

A "universal" needle can be used for both woven fabrics as well as knits. It won't be as sharp as a quilting needle. I remember early on I was buying universal needles & was told by a more experienced quilter that I should use quilting needles. I think that's when I made the switch.
                        Ah! the #75 has a bigger eye! I misread your original post.

When I first started quilting, I was buying needles and was told by the salesclerk - at a fabric store - that I should get the universal needles. WRONG! I still have a few of them from that time, and I am using them just for piecing.

Comment

I kinda fall into the category of go with what I have as long as its not a leather, denim, sheer, or stretch needle. I have a lot of singer needles and just as many schmetz I like the universals in 80/12 that is what worked for FMQ on the cat quilt. But for piecing what ever is handy. Yeah I follow no rules.
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I use Schmetz topstitch needles for piecing because they have a larger eye than regular needles making them easier to thread. I usually use a size 12.
                            *~* Myrna *~*
                            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I usually use either a 70/11 or 80/12 with Aurifil 50 at. I really prefer the 11 - Aurifil thread seems to lay into the needle scarf better. But i use the 12 for FMQ. I have an Elna sewing machine (identical to Janome 6600), and since it was made in Asia, Organ needles were recommended. Schmetz works but when the schmetz website recommended Organ for machines built in Asia, I tried Organ and fell in love with the way my machine stitches with them. Schmetz recommended schmetz for machines built in Europe.... Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X