Fleece blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fleece blanket

My brother has asked that I make a fleece blanket for his 2yro GD. I'm trying to decide the best way to finish the edges. I would like to bind the 2 pieces together. Want to keep the fringe out of the crib workings. Has anybody done this? What method did you use? Kathy
    All quilts cat tested and approved.
    sigpic

Re: Fleece blanket

The fleece blankets I have made were one layer only. I have done sort of a blanket stitch by hand with embroidery floss or finished with a serger.
    Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

If you crochet.. there is a method you can find on YouTube
      I've made several and it goes quickly!
      There is a rotary blade that will make the perforations for you, but i've used a fine hole punch upon occasion..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5QgGCi1J3o&t=48s
      Last edited by GrammaBabs; November 30, 2016, 07:38 AM.
      "Each day well-lived and Happy;
      that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I have sewn the front to the back wrong sides together, then turned it and ran a top stitch around the outer edge. They are still holding strong.

Comment

How about a nice satin blanket binding.
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by LynneLeavell View Post
            I have sewn the front to the back wrong sides together, then turned it and ran a top stitch around the outer edge. They are still holding strong.
            I have done this too then added a very large meander over the top just to keep them flush together.
            Vonnie

Comment

good suggestions here, I would lean toward the crocheted edging myself. Somewhere I saw a technique that gave you a braided edge rather than tie. Might hold up better than ties for a child.

Look for "braided edge" fleece blanket on youtube. Several videos pop up, maybe one can help
              Last edited by bakermom; November 30, 2016, 11:26 AM. Reason: added info
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Originally posted by LynneLeavell View Post
                I've done MANY fleece blankets this way.

Comment

I haven't completely decided yet. Think I'm going to look for a tute that shows how to apply satin blanket binding. I have 2 different colors in my stash that would go nicely with the fleece. If I can't manage that then I will sew together and turn right side out. My machine has a lot of decorative stitches that would work. That's the next project after I finish the 21 microwave bowls I've made. Almost done with them. Thanks for your suggestions Kathy
                  All quilts cat tested and approved.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think fleece is so warm, you might want to have only single thickness. On the blanket I made for DH, I folded over the edge a good 1/2" or so & used one of the stitches on my machine to thoroughly secure the edges. Fleece doesn't fray.

Comment

If you crochet around the outside what kind of yarn do you use? I'm a beginner in crocheting.

Thanks
                      Gina

Comment

I have used ordinary acrylic yarn. I did one for DIL with cotton yarn, I was concerned it might shrink but it has held up well.
                        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I have some fleece blankets my friend embroidered for my dogs. She used a blanket stitch from her machine around the edge on one set and serged the other. They have held up really well.
                          Patrice S

Comment

Originally posted by mischiefkat View Post
                            I haven't completely decided yet. Think I'm going to look for a tute that shows how to apply satin blanket binding. I have 2 different colors in my stash that would go nicely with the fleece. If I can't manage that then I will sew together and turn right side out. My machine has a lot of decorative stitches that would work. That's the next project after I finish the 21 microwave bowls I've made. Almost done with them. Thanks for your suggestions Kathy
                            21 microwave bowls? Are you serious?!!

Comment

Working...
                            X