Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to fix a quilt that does not have a layer of batting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fix a quilt that does not have a layer of batting?

I know this is hard to believe, and I couldn't myself when asked about this, but a friend had someone make a quilt for her, but they didn't put a layer a batting in the sandwich. She has me if I could fix it or what to do about it. I told her the only thing I knew to do was to rip all the stitches out (binding, everything) and then redo it with the batting included in the sandwich this time. Has anyone every seen this and know of a quicker fix?

Re: How to fix a quilt that does not have a layer of batting?

You either rip it all apart or sandwich batting and a new backing on to it the way it is and requilt it. You would need to remove the binding either way. Some people make summer quilts with no batting, but it surprises me that whoever made it didn't ask your friend first what she wanted.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Take off the binding. Add batting and a new backing. Stitch in the ditch around the blocks.

Comment

I would cut the binding off. I hate to rip.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

That's a lot of ripping. I like Lorie's idea. Cut off the binding, sandwich with batting and a new back then SITD around the blocks.
          Cindy

Comment

Great idea. I had thought about just adding another layer, but hadn't even thought of cutting the binding off. Thanks for suggestions.

Comment

Out of curiosity, is any part of the quilt flannel?

Comment

Originally posted by kjohnson View Post
                Great idea. I had thought about just adding another layer, but hadn't even thought of cutting the binding off. Thanks for suggestions.
                By cutting off the binding will you be chopping off any points?

Comment

How about getting some prequilted material for the backing ... cut off the binding....and maybe you could use some of that spray adhesive or something to attach the prequilted backing on it and rebind it.....
                  Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                  Terry

Comment

Removing the binding - however you want - and then adding the batting and a new backing is quicker than taking out all the quilting. Use STID (stitch in the ditch) or STOD (stitch over the ditch) to hold the layers together.
                    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I also would take the binding off then do a new sandwich. Here's a video on how to use a seam ripper. In my much younger days in school - we would use razors pretty much the same way - although I remember putting a hole in the fabric more than once if I went too fast.

http://andreasnotebook.com/how-to-us...pper-properly/
                      ***Kathy***

Comment

Since I first posted this thread, I've seen a picture of the quilt and understand the problem now. It is a baby quilt with probably 5 or 6 inch squares sewn around a square of minky in the middle. The other side is the exact same, so it's reversible (LSU on one side and Saints on the other). It sounds like she or someone SITD around each block and then tacked the minky. It's not binded, but has a purchased ruffle sewn in the outer edges all around the quilt. I've never worked with Minky and it looks like it's loose or stretched to me. I don't know what she will do with it, but I gave her the suggestions here, so I hope she figures it out.

Comment

Baby quilts made with Minky is often done without batting, since the minky is heavier and warmer than regular cotton fabric. I personally wouldn't go to the trouble of trying to redo it with batting, but if it appears stretched or too loose, then maybe add a little more quilting.

Comment

Well, that changes everything. I would leave it and start over if I wanted it to be filled with batting. That one is done.
                            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                            Terry

Comment

Working...
                            X