• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Auntie Uli

• Auntie Uli
    replied
    Re: washing fat quarters

Originally posted by Iris Girl View Post
    I am a washer so everything down to and including fat quarters are washed before use. Anything smaller I do not wash. I use gentle cycle or delicate so they don't swish around to much.
    I am in the prewashing camp too. I don't like the chemical smell in unwashed fabric when I am ironing...

Leave a comment:

• toggpine

• toggpine
    replied

I use the serger around the edges. I pre-wash when I want to test the fabrics. I have been gifted fabrics that need a washing before I use or store them. (Cigarette smoke, musty, etc.) I have even serged around weird cuts to make them washable.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie

• Vonnie
    replied

Originally posted by kjohnson View Post
    I just made a Christmas quilt for my sister in the Courthouse Steps pattern so it has a lot of red, green and white. I'm kind of nervous about washing it, but I'll put in a whole box of color catchers maybe! I'm thinking of taking it to the laundry where they have bigger washers so it won't be twisted and wrung so much as my home washer probably would, and then dry it on low at home. Those industrial washers sure make washing comforters and quilts so much easier, especially since I have a top loading washer that twists it no matter how I put it in.
    I ruined my son's quilt by washing in my top loading washer. The agitator shredded one of the fabrics. So I only use the large front loaders at the Laundromat now and then dry at home.

Leave a comment:

• Iris Girl

• Iris Girl
    replied

Originally posted by quiltingaway View Post
    Oh I'm glad I'm not alone in my pre-washing.
    Comes from being a garment maker before I was a quilter. Fabric is always pre washed so it is pre shrunk. Nothing worse then taking the time to make a beautiful well fitting garment and then having it shrink in the wash. Old habits die hard. Plus I hate the smell of sizing and dyes on my hands as I work with fabric. Better my fresh laundry smell and the outdoors fresh air where they dried!

Leave a comment:

• kjohnson

• kjohnson
    replied

I just made a Christmas quilt for my sister in the Courthouse Steps pattern so it has a lot of red, green and white. I'm kind of nervous about washing it, but I'll put in a whole box of color catchers maybe! I'm thinking of taking it to the laundry where they have bigger washers so it won't be twisted and wrung so much as my home washer probably would, and then dry it on low at home. Those industrial washers sure make washing comforters and quilts so much easier, especially since I have a top loading washer that twists it no matter how I put it in.

Leave a comment:

• kjohnson

• kjohnson
    replied

I don't wash anything either. Except possibly muslin if I'm using it to back the quilt because it does tend to shrink a bit more than some fabrics.

Leave a comment:

• quiltingaway

• quiltingaway
    replied

Originally posted by Iris Girl View Post
    I am a washer so everything down to and including fat quarters are washed before use. Anything smaller I do not wash. I use gentle cycle or delicate so they don't swish around to much.
    Oh I'm glad I'm not alone in my pre-washing.

Leave a comment:

• Iris Girl

• Iris Girl
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sherriequilts

• sherriequilts
    replied

I'm in the no pre washing camp as well. Personally I find it much easier to cut accurately with non washed fabrics. I do wash every quilt after it's completely done on cool water with at least 2 color catchers ... Before I dry it , I examine those color catchers. If there's any hint of color... I wash again with new color catchers. Once those color catchers come out white, then I will dry the quilt. But I don't make quilts for shows or judged competitions. My expectations are these quilts will be on beds with adults, kids, pets, etc or used to cuddle up on the couch. If I was going to make a 2 color quilt such as red and white ... then I might pre wash just those fabrics.
    Sherrie

Leave a comment:

• Debbie Watters

• Debbie Watters
    replied

I also do not wash fabric. The only exception is the flannel used. I also love the feel of new fabric!

Leave a comment:

• Kgrammiecaz

• Kgrammiecaz
    replied

I barely find time for this craft that I love. If I had to wash fabric, nothing would get done. But I also love the new fabric feel and with precuts, I purchase because they save some cutting time.

Leave a comment:

• AMG

• AMG
    replied

I generally don't wash any fabric, precuts or yardage. I'll starch & iron if I need to, especially if I'm working with bias edges.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry

• grammaterry
    replied

I never wash fabric before Sewing. Sometimes I think I should if the cats have been nosy...but I just don't. I love the crispness of sewing on unwashed fabric.

Leave a comment:

• DramaMama

• DramaMama
    replied

Wash fabric? I can barely get through the dirty clothes hamper each week!

I don't wash precuts nor any of my quilt shop quality cotton yardage; though I do wash flannel yardage.

And fyi -- I NEVER buy flannel from Joann's (after a first bad experience with their "nicer" flannel -- I could have made another quilt just from the pilling after I washed it; it was so bad I tossed it as I was too embarrassed to use it in the quilt I was giving as a baby gift).

Leave a comment:

• Sylvia H

• Sylvia H
    replied

I rarely wash any fabrics. The exception is when I am not sure of the quality and want to minimize shrinking and/or bleeding after the quilt is made. For those exceptions, I then wash all the material I am going to use in the project. I have been quilting for six years, and have only prewashed twice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X