Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which LA Bobbins Do You Prefer? Pre-wound or wind your own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which LA Bobbins Do You Prefer? Pre-wound or wind your own?

I was talking with a LA quilter at church this a.m. We were discussing tension problems & M bobbins. She thinks part of her stitching problems were a result of uneven tension problems with her bobbin winder. She has switched to buying pre-wound bobbins from Superior Threads. What has been your experience? Do you buy pre-wound or wind your own? I'm thinking about trying the pre-wound bobbins to see if it makes a difference.

Re: Which LA Bobbins Do You Prefer? Pre-wound or wind your own?

So far I'm pretty happy with winding my own. :-)
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

My LA came with an excellent bobbin winder. I love doing my own.

Comment

I'm for pre wounds all the way. Never have tension problems with them!
        Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

I haven't had any problems with winding my own. I will admit though that it took me about a year to get to the point where my tension is always good,

Comment

Even tho my bobbin winder messes up sometimes (thread comes out of tension disks or pigstail) I prefer to wind them myself only because of thread color and matching it to the quilt.

If your tension is not perfect, you will see little "dots" of thread color showing through. And the thinner the batting the harder it is to get the "perfect" tension where the thread color does not show through to the other side.

I was given a bag of prewound bobbins with charcoal thread in them. I only use them on dark backing fabric. But, I have never had a tension problem with them.

Another reason I don't buy the prewound is cost - they are pretty pricey!
            Vonnie

Comment

JCY, so far, in my limited experience with Tiara, I am OK with winding my own. Not many tension problems. I got a bobbin winder with my machine and it seems to work pretty great. My initial problem was that I wasn't setting the speed fast enough. I like the idea of matching thread colors most of the time.
              A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Working...
              X