Recommendations for quilting an art quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for quilting an art quit

I'd like say up front that I am NOT an artist. However, I really love the painting Starry Night by Vincent VanGogh. So I decided it might be fun to copy it in fabric, even though I have never done landscape applique, and probably did many things wrong. I have a couple of questions:

1) I pieced and bonded the elements in units and then bonded them onto a navy backing. As a result, in some places there are upwards of 4 layers that I will need to sew through. Are there any hints that anyone can give me on thread and needle selection? I thought I'd try to duplicate many of the paint lines you see in the painting.

2) Should I do any stitching to secure the pieces before I layer and start quilting? Perhaps some satin stitching in certain places to emphasize the borders between different sections.

3) Would you apply a border and if so, which do you-all prefer. The navy border or the grey one?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Starry Night Blue Border.jpgStarry Night Grey Border.jpg
    Attached Files

Re: Recommendations for quilting an art quit

That's really cool! I don't have advice. I'm just used to doing regular applique. I like the grey, it seems to make a frame more than the navy.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

That is gorgeous. Can you please give some more details so we can better answer your questions. Firstly how did you "bond" the fabric together? Please be as specific as possible as that will effect thread and needle recommendation. When you say there are four layers to sew through in some places is that two layers of fabric and two layers of bonding material or four layers of fabric and four layers of bonding material?

What kind of sewing machine will you be using and will you be using a walking foot or doing free motion quilting?

I would definitely apply a border. The navy and the gray both work, Each gives a very different effect. The grey pops the yellow stars, the navy is more soothing and contemplative.
      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Very cool! If you don't want to stitch down all of the pieces individually you might consider adding a layer of white tulle over your quilt and then duplicate the paint lines over that. A layer of tulle can add texture and help hold all those edges in place. I would try it on some scraps to see if you like the look first.

Try a search on thread painting on art quilts for some great inspiration. I also did a search on Starry Night art quilts.......there were lots of styles to look at for ideas. Thread painting to duplicate the paint lines would be very pretty.

I can't decide which border I like best.........both look nice.

Looking forward to seeing the finish quilt.
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I used Steam-A-Seam 2 Double Stick Fusible Web to bond all the pieces.

When I fused the units onto the applique sheet, I overlapped all the individual pieces of fabric about 1/8. So in cases where I had to place a unit under another unit there could be an overlapped section of one unit tucked under the fabric for another unit and all bonded onto the navy background. So 4 layers of fabric, not counting the fusible web. Some parts are pretty stiff.

I'm going to try to use a walking foot with either my Babylock Anna or 40 year old Kenmore. I'll be making a test block to see what works best. The hanging is 30x23 inches.

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
          That is gorgeous. Can you please give some more details so we can better answer your questions. Firstly how did you "bond" the fabric together? Please be as specific as possible as that will effect thread and needle recommendation. When you say there are four layers to sew through in some places is that two layers of fabric and two layers of bonding material or four layers of fabric and four layers of bonding material?

What kind of sewing machine will you be using and will you be using a walking foot or doing free motion quilting?

I would definitely apply a border. The navy and the gray both work, Each gives a very different effect. The grey pops the yellow stars, the navy is more soothing and contemplative.

Comment

I love it. Very artistic. I favor the navy border. Wouldn't have a clue about applique or fusibles but you go girl.
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

With Steam A Seam 2 I would recommend a #90/14 TOP STITCH needle. The topstitch part is critical. Since those are both really good sewing machines you should be able to use any good quality #50 weight cotton thread, a cotton wrap polyester, or up to a #40 polyester.

I would also personally recommend that you decide which parts you want to sew down before you make the quilt sandwich, and which parts you want to sew down as part of the quilt sandwich. For example the tiny doors and windows on the buildings will be much easier to stitch down before you make the quilt sandwich. It will also give more dimension to the buildings.

I also strongly recommend that you do not satin stitch since you used Steam A Seam 2. It is the wrong kind of fusible to use with a satin stitch.

Would love to see more pictures when you are done.
              Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

It is beautiful and I am following just to see what you end up doing. I would love to do something like this someday

Comment

I have seen the original painting hanging in MOMA, in NYC, but I don't recall it having a frame.
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

What a fantastic idea and a beautiful art quilt. I like the darker border, and that is all the 'advice' I can provide. I hope you will tell us how you completed the quilt, as your experience will be very helpful.
                    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Use a Titanium coated needle. This type of needle will not heat up and soften the adhesive, which can make a gooey mess of the thread and regular needle. Test with a mock-up using scraps of the same used for the quilt. Size 12 needle should be sufficient.

Best wishes for a successful project. Love the artist's work. I found the movie, "Vincent and Me" to be memorable.
                      Last edited by SewingBuddy; December 2, 2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Definately the blue border. The grey causes the piece to "float" and the eye to wander off the picture.
                        Just love everyone. I'll sort them out later. -God

Comment

"Vincent and Theo"

Comment

I'd like to thank everyone for the great recommendations. I've enclosed a photo and closeup of the completed piece. I used a blue binding rather than have a border, which probably was best. I used my top-stitch foot to edge my fused pieces before quilting and then used my walking foot to quilt. I think I should have continued to use my top-stitch foot when quilting because I had more trouble with the curves. I wasn't really happy with my quilting (who ever is), so I didn't stitch as thickly as I might have wanted to. Also, I chose mostly matching thread colors instead of contrasting for the same reason. As a result, the completed quilt does not look that much different than the unquilted top. In any case, it was fun to do.

My next art project will be a quilted picture of my terrier I lost this fall, using the Quilted Photo Deluxe software that this weeks Sewing With Nancy episode used. Starry Night Complete.jpgQuilted closeup.jpg

Comment

Chris, that is really pretty! Your quilting and binding look great on the quilt.
                              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Working...
                              X