Four Patch Lattice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four Patch Lattice

Hi. This is my first question. I am trying to make this quilt from the Block Magizine and watching the tutorial. All my four patches are matched up perfectly, and I have made the good cut diagonally. However once the lattice is sewn , one side becomes an inch off center and the other side about 1/2 inch off center. Giving the square a look that is not lined up properly as it previously was. What am I doing wrong? I have sewn and re sewn several times with the same results. Any suggestions will b appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Four Patch Lattice

It sounds like you may be stretching the bias edge when sewing in the lattice. Have you tried starching the square prior to cutting the diagonal cut? I would try that.

Comment

I've not made this pattern but I agree with Karen, definitely try starch/best press. And be careful when handling to make sure you don't stretch the material. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
      Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

In the video, it looks like the key to lining them up is pressing the lattice in half, then putting the center of the block at that line, sewing & finger pressing then adding the other half of the block. Is this where you are getting off?

Comment

The advice to fold all the pieces in half is one that I used and the blocks match up better. If you try matching the corners on the triangles with the edges of the sashing it won't come out correctly. Have fun this makes a really cute quilt.

Comment

Disclaimer that I don't have that issue of Block and I haven't made that quilt. However, I have made the regular lattice pattern and I think the principles are the same. As Patty J said, you can fold each block in half after sewing in the lattice strip and then press. Then you can trim each large square so the lattice points are perfectly on the diagonal line of your square up ruler. I have a couple orphan blocks from a lattice quilt I am assembling. I've put them under the rulers so you can see what I mean. Take care to fold the blocks carefully so the seams of the lattice on both sides line up. Then press, then trim. I hope this helps. It can be impossible to match them up if you don't do this. Ask me how I know lol.lattice.jpg

Comment

]Thanks midge for the visual and your time. I've tried this with scraps, as I don't want to ruin any more of my good fabric. It is still off a bit, but much much better than it was before. Seems like only .25 inches off now.

IMG_0677.jpg
              Last edited by [email protected]; November 22, 2016, 01:56 PM.

Comment

You are welcome Joan. I found it frustrating the first time with this pattern too. Your block looks pretty good to me and your lattice fabric is very pretty. When you fold, press and trim you might be able to correct for that 1/4" or almost all of it. Spray starch is your friend, too. Hope it goes better from here out.

Comment

Working...
                X