Thread Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread Color

Does it matter what color thread is used in piecing quilts? I have always used basic white thinking it doesn't show so it doesn't matter.

Should I be using a matching thread for piecing as well as quilting (I can't do more than stitching in the ditch).

Is it just a personal preference?

I just made a baby quilt and used a good quality thread for the first time. The quilt came out perfect and I am attributing it to the thread. I swear the blocks pressed better without much fussing.

Re: Thread Color

I usually take a neutral color for piecing and match this to the lightest color I am using. Using a high quality thread definitely makes sense for various reasons...you may have less lint in your bobbin area, less thread breakage and you are putting a lot of work in your quilt, so i would recommend to use the best material you can afford.
    Personally I love Aurifil thread for piecing and quilting, if I want to have more shine I am using isacord thread for FMQ but that is all personal preference...
    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

For most piecing, I use a sort of tan or beige cotton 50 wt. thread. I believe it's called "Eggshell". It blends with most fabrics. I buy it on a large cone at my LQS. If piecing on darker fabrics, I use a medium gray cotton 50 wt. thread. It really isn't necessary to match thread color to the fabrics when piecing. However, when quilting, the thread color will depend on the colors of your fabrics. Lay thread on the top to see what color blends in the best. You may or may not want to use the same color thread in the bobbin for the back. I use Signature 40 wt. quilting thread, or Superior's King Tut 40 wt. thread for quilting. But you can use 50 wt. as well. Different quilters have different tastes in quilting. Some like polyester thread. It also depends on which thread(s) your machine "likes".

Comment

I think the quality of the thread does make a difference. As for color I don't always worry about it, just use a neutral color unless I'm sewing dark colors, then I'll grab a matching thread color.

Comment

I use light gray a lot, it seems to blend easily with so many colors. Btw, what do people think of the new MSQC brand thread they recently came out with? I love it! I used the 50 wt cotton. I saw yesterday when I was putting in an order (free shpg!) That they were out of white and off white so I ordered gray at 2.50/spool it was a good deal.

Comment

I don't think it really matters for piecing. I have an assortment of beiges and greys for piecing. I like the 50 wieght cotton that is sold by Connecting Threads. There is some lint build up, but I trade that for the very low cost. I also like to use Aurifil, and I buy that when I can on sale from Craftsy. Their lowest price is about $7.15 for a spool (cone?) of 1422 yards.

I now have an assortment of bobbins with various colors, and I don't know what they match with. I have decided that I am going to use them up when piecing my next scrappy quilt. (I think I get a bit obsessive about not wasting thread or fabric!)
            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I use whatever halfway blends in, since I often have several partial spools to use up. Good way to empty bobbins too.

Comment

I usually use Aurafil 50 wt in beige, taupe or gray. If I'm piecing something that is mostly one color or a very dark color, I'll use a matching thread. Since I've been using Aurafil, I do think my piecing comes out much nice and lays really flat when pressed. There's also less lint to clean out of the bobbin area.
                Patrice S

Comment

I use up odds and ends of thread colors for piecing. I am usually making brightly colored quilts out of scraps so it isn't going to show. Now , if I am doing a quilt with a lot of white, I use white.
                  I have decided that I really like Connecting threads 50wt thread. The price is the determining factor since I use soooo much thread. I bought some superior on cones but I can't make them work on my machine. The cone is too big...so I had DH build me one of those cone holders but the tension isn't right. I'm using them up to spool bobbins.
                  Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                  Terry

Comment

It absolutely does matter. I always piece with grey (light, medium and dark depending on the fabric shades). Some piece with shades of beige. I have only ever pieced with black when black was comprised of a large portion of the quilt.

Comment

Black for black, white for white and a close neutral for all the others.

If the brand you recently used provided the results you wanted, stick with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X