Jelly roll race quilt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jelly roll race quilt question

When you make the jelly roll race quilt, is it better to just take the strips as they come off the roll or to organize them in some way?

I think I used to know the answer but can't remember anymore.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Jelly roll race quilt question

I believe that is a preference thing.If you have a design in mind you may want to organize,if not just go in any order.Remember to begin sewing at the opposite end each strip.(I hope that makes sense)
    :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

People have done it both ways. And, at jelly roll races, some have used the very same jelly roll, but the final quilts looks different. I think that is caused by how you join the previous sections together.

My last JRR used a jelly roll that just had black and white backgrounds. I tried to vary the strips, but ended up with larger sections of black and white backgrounds than I liked. It was still a nice quilt, but I think in the case where there was such limited background colors, I could have just as easily put the strips in a paper bag and pulled them out sight unseen.
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I've made two of these and I've found that if I follow the suggestion to cut off about 18" from the first strip and then just sew them as they come off the roll you really do get a good mixture ... but these were jelly rolls that only had 2 or 3 repeats for each print. But I've only made 2 .... so I'm far from an expert on these, but they are fun and quick.
        Sherrie
        Life ain’t always beautiful
        But it’s a beautiful ride - Gary Allen

Comment

I've made one for myself and helped each of my 2 youngest granddaughters make theirs. For all of them we just took the strips as they came off the roll and they turned out really nice. Colorful and definitely random but they are fun and quick to make.
          A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I just helped my friend (a new quilter) with her first two jellyroll quilts. She sewed hers as they came off the rolls and hers turned out fine. She remembered to cut off 18" after sewing the strips together. She is so enthused about quilting and she has just started watching Jenny's tutorials.....she's hooked.
            Last edited by Bubby; November 17, 2016, 05:45 AM.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
              I just helped my friend (a new quilter) with her first two jellyroll quilts. She sewed hers as they came off the rolls and hers turned out fine. She remembered to cut off 18" after sewing the strips together. She is so enthused about quilting and she has just started watching Jenny's tutorials.....she's hooked.
              Isn't wonderful to get someone new hooked? I got my sister to try quilting recently and she makes quilts faster than me now! We've both made jelly roll quilts and sewed them as they came off the roll, they look great!
              Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think half the fun is sewing the strips as they come off the roll and seeing how the colors and patterns blend. The key, of course, is cuttint the 18 inches off the first strip.

Enjoy! I think these are very fun quilts as they work up quickly and end up quite large.

Comment

Organizing the strips the way I wanted, just didn't work in the long run. If I ever do one again.....it will be just off the roll as they come.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help.

Comment

I couldn't stand to cut off 18" and toss it, so I just added an 18" scrap piece of a coordinationg color to one end.
                      Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyCurious View Post
                        I couldn't stand to cut off 18" and toss it, so I just added an 18" scrap piece of a coordinationg color to one end.
                        That is a clever idea. I never toss the 18" I cut off. it gets added to my scrap bin of 2.5" strips, or I cut it into 2.5" squares, again for a scrap bin. Since summer 2015, I have made 2 tops just from scraps such as these. Before that, I make another scrap quilt from all my untrimmed/unsorted scraps.
                        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I've made over 50 of these quilts, RANDOM is the key word! No matter how much you plan, the results are RANDOM! Some turn out very mixed, others have colors clumped, hard to predict how they will end up. If you are a planner and expect certain results, don't try making one of these!

Comment

After I finish my Christmas projects I intend to start a jelly roll race quilt. I already have my jelly roll and will take the advice of sewing the strips as they come off the roll. It looks like it will be very easy to "twist" the strips as you go along and end up with a big mess. Has this been a problem?

Comment

To prevent twisting, you have to be sure that when you start to sew two rows or strips together, they're straight. The only way I know how to do that (probably the long way) is to look from the beginning to the end each time you begin stitching. I hope this makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X