Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suggestions please!

Hi everyone,
    My question is, out of a fat quarter does anyone no the breakdown of what you can get from it ? (ie # of 2.5 sq's, 5 in. squares etcetera.) I'm ready to start a new project but when I look at all the tutorials, they show charm packs or rolls and I have a selection of fat quarters that I would like to use. Does anyone have suggestions on a quilt design that uses fat quarters or can help me understand how to cut the fat quarter in the most useful way. I'm ready to go so any help is appreciated.

I'm also including two pictures of my last two quilts. I'm new and each quilt I'm learning so much.

q1.jpgq2.jpgIMG_1334.JPGIMG_1335.JPG

Re: suggestions please!

Those quilts are beautiful! Looks like you are off to a very good start. I know there are lots of places to find what/how many pieces a fat quarter will make. You can google it. I think there is a link on here, but not sure where it is.

Comment

Is this what you mean?
      fatquarterimages1 (2).jpg
      Cindy

Comment

That is helpful. I can figure out how many of all 5x5's or 2.5's I can get out of one fat Quarter. I was kind of hoping that the math was figured out for me, but this helps bunches. Thanks!

Comment

If the FQ is 18" x 22" you can get 56-2.5" squares or 12-5" squares .
          *~* Myrna *~*
          *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Just google it, & you'll come up with several web sites to visit. A helpful one is the quiltingdigest.com -- An article called "What Can You Cut from a Fat Quarter?" Scroll down; there are numerous options laid out. It all depends on what size squares or strips you need as to what the yield will be. I think FQs are one of the most versatile pre-cuts there are. I use them a lot. When you can find them in the "orphan corner" of your LQS for only $1.00, that's a real bargain.

Comment

They are a usable 1/4 yd. So...if you want to make a large quilt...queen or king...you'll need 6 yards of material or 24 fat quarters. So, if you a want to design your own quilt. figure out how many different colors or patterns you want and voila...you are a quilt designer.
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

Just a little heads up. I had collected about 30 fat quarters in black and whites, some more white than black and vice versa. Went to cut them into 5" squares by layering. Discovered a new "quilting truth" Not all fat quarters measure 18 x 22!! Some were bigger by as much as 2 inches, smaller by 3", really all over the place in size. Ended up cutting them individually which was very time consuming compared to layering. When you iron your fat quarters, be sure to check out the sizes.
                And plan accordingly. Just saying......

Comment

I think someone already posted an image from this site but take a look - there's a chart further down the page. May help??

http://quiltingdigest.com/what-can-y...a-fat-quarter/

Comment

I agree with Murphy. The sizes vary a bunch. They are not as precise as the mask produced precuts.

Comment

Working...
                    X