Half Square Triagles ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half Square Triagles ?

Hello - I am very new to quilting but am learning so much from Jenny's tutorials! I can't wait for Thursday nights! I am a little confused by one thing. I think I am seeing half square triangles done two different ways. One is where you sew all the way around the perimeter and the cut an X basically. And the other is where you mark a line diagonally in the center and then sew a1/4 inch on either side then cut down the center. What is the difference between the two methods? When would you use one over the other? Thanks in advance!

Re: Half Square Triagles ?

Good question and I am not sure what the difference is. I will be watching this post.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Originally posted by Nfattu View Post
      Hello - I am very new to quilting but am learning so much from Jenny's tutorials! I can't wait for Thursday nights! I am a little confused by one thing. I think I am seeing half square triangles done two different ways. One is where you sew all the way around the perimeter and the cut an X basically. And the other is where you mark a line diagonally in the center and then sew a1/4 inch on either side then cut down the center. What is the difference between the two methods? When would you use one over the other? Thanks in advance!
      Jenny uses the sew around and cut in an X method to make 4 HST's

The other method you mark the diagonal, sewing 1/4 inch on each side, and then also across the middle... creates 8 HST's.

If you mark the diagonal and sew on either side and cut it, you create 2 HST's.

It just depends on the size and number you need. I like the last method when using Charms because I don't have to deal with such small Hst's. I like the second if I need more than four for a block. And I like the first method, when using Layer Cakes for BIG blocks.
      Last edited by kensington; November 14, 2016, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I'm with you Kensington... size and number needed tells me which method to use.
        Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
        :icon_wave:

Comment

Sewing around the perimeter gives you more bias edges than doing the traditional half square triangle.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

Sewing a 1/4" on each side of the corner to corner line, gives you 2 bias sewn HST's with straight grains, on all 4 sides of each.

Sewing around all 4 sides of the straight grain, then cutting corner to corner twice gives you 4 HST's that have the bias on all 4 sides.

Since the bias is more likely to stretch, you have to be more careful when piecing the HST's made by the 4-at-a-time method.
            Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

There are a lot of ways to make half square triangles, I think it's mostly personal preference. My favorite way is cutting strips and using the Fons and Porter half and quarter ruler, I like it because my hst's are perfect and i don't have to square them up.

There are a few other ruler you may find helpful .... the square me up ruler produces hst's out of 5 and 10" squares and you can use a bloc loc ruler to square them up. But this is a quite expensive way. I purchased both ruler, because I am a ruler junkie and they made a lot of fuzz about them in my lqs but I returned already to my small and cheap half and quarter ruler...
              Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

I use the strip method too but use the Wonder Cut ruler...they come out perfect every time!!
                sigpic

"May there always be work for your hands to do"

Comment

When Jenny sews 1/4" all the way around & cuts diagonally, she's usually using a layer cake (10" square). Those 4 HSTs will all measure at 6.5", but they will need to be squared up. If you know what size HST block you need, just cut the squares at least 3/4" larger than the desired size, sew the 1/4" on each side of the diagonal line, then square up.

Comment

If you love math and charts (blah) switch them around. I feel more comfortable sticking with one.
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Uli View Post
                      There are a lot of ways to make half square triangles, I think it's mostly personal preference. My favorite way is cutting strips and using the Fons and Porter half and quarter ruler, I like it because my hst's are perfect and i don't have to square them up.

There are a few other ruler you may find helpful .... the square me up ruler produces hst's out of 5 and 10" squares and you can use a bloc loc ruler to square them up. But this is a quite expensive way. I purchased both ruler, because I am a ruler junkie and they made a lot of fuzz about them in my lqs but I returned already to my small and cheap half and quarter ruler...
                      I just went to f&p website and searched for rulers but didn't see these. What is the strip method for HST?

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                        I just went to f&p website and searched for rulers but didn't see these. What is the strip method for HST?
                        Here you can find a demo video, I purchased mine on amazon https://youtu.be/tnMNVcT9NGk
                        Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

Oh I see! That looks like a pretty cool ruler and easy to use. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                            When Jenny sews 1/4" all the way around & cuts diagonally, she's usually using a layer cake (10" square). Those 4 HSTs will all measure at 6.5", but they will need to be squared up. If you know what size HST block you need, just cut the squares at least 3/4" larger than the desired size, sew the 1/4" on each side of the diagonal line, then square up.
                            I personally do not square them up. I have yet to have a problem with using them in any pattern I use. Knock on wood. I did a King Size quilt with the Four Seasons block with no isuues. That's 16 HST's for each block. I think the secret to that is consistently using that 1/4 inch guide foot on my machine for accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                            X