Hello again M* Forum Members -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello again M* Forum Members -

Been off M* for a while - got bit by the 'bag-making' bug and haven't done any quilting for awhile.

BUT just recently my DGD stopped in for a visit with an armload of T-Shirts . . and said . . "Gra'ma will you help me make a T-Shirt quilt?" Sooo . . . . we looked the shirts over and decided to cut 15" (15-1/2" w/SA) squares - 4 across and 5 down with sashing between the squares and a border of alternating color rectangles 2-1/2" X 4" (3" X 4-1/2" w/SA) to be sewn on along the 4" side.

We've survived the cutting (scary to see a GD we nicknamed "Columbus" cause she's clumsy use a rotary cutter), fusing (she was actually good using my 'steam press' and didn't burn herself or set fire to anything) and sewing 1/4" seams (she got impatient operating at "turtle" speed and wanted to push the lever toward the "rabbit") she managed pretty well. We've done the squares, the sashing and are now to the border stage - - and she tells me she wants the border corners mitered > >

> > > herein lies my question. Do I need to calculate the math of each border rectangle and the quilt length and width . . . or should I just sew the rectangles into border strips, then measure along the quilt and go from there? . . . or some other method? I'm posting a photo which is a visual of where we are - - - TYIA for any help you can offer!IMG_4065.JPG
    NC sayin's from my mama n' daddy, a reminder, lest I forget:

~I’m gonna tan your hide. (You’re about to get a whoopin’.)
    ~set yourself down a spell ~~every day of the week n' twice on Sundays
    ~knock you clean into next week n' then some ~~deader than a door nail
    ~can't get blood from a turnip ~~your neck o'the woods
    ~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

Re: Hello again M* Forum Members -

Sorry; don't understand the question. Calculate the border rectangle and quilt L and W for what?

It looks like all the t-shirt pcs and their borders are already sewn together.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

You always go length times width (l x w). If you have your body/base/center as lets say 60" x 60" or 80" x 100" then you can add on your borders. Using the 60" x 60" center and you want to add on a 2" boarder, you would need to add on the extra two inches 60L x 2W, which makes the quilt now 62" x 62". To add on a bigger boarder to that now center and first border, let's say an extra six inches. you would measure 62L x 6W per border. But just in case things do not measure up always cut a couple inches longer (length wise) than needed.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaMama View Post
        Sorry; don't understand the question. Calculate the border rectangle and quilt L and W for what?

It looks like all the t-shirt pcs and their borders are already sewn together.
        Sorry for the confusion. The block squares and all but the center sashing are sewn already, but a few of the small rectangles that will make up the border are just lying on the edge of the quilt to show how they will attach to the quilt - have many cut to be sewn tog . . . just not sure about measurements in order to create mitered corners. Maybe I'm over-thinking it, but I've tried sketching it to try to deal with the corners and make sure a seam in the border doesn't wind up in the corner area where I want the miter. Maybe I'm still not explaining it properly.

~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
        "B"

Comment

Anna Leigh, thank you - I follow part of what you said, but maybe using my actual measurements will get me thru it all. Our quilt measures 66W X 84L (including sashing) and the planned border is 2-1/2"W. The 'fly in the ointment' for me is that this border is made up of 2-1/2" X 4" (3" X 4-1/2" to include SA) rectangles that will be sewn together (different colors) to create the 2-1/2" border AND the we want mitered corners. This is where I'm stuck.

"B"

Comment

I would keep the scrappy border going from the middle to the ends. But about a foot from the ends, see where the seams will lay. If you want to avoid the seams in the miter, you can selectively shorten a couple sections before the end. That way you can chose what you are working with at the corners.

Comment

You can always do a fake miter by place half square triangles on the corners. I have done this before. After it's quilted no one will be the wiser. You are going to have enough problems trying to keep from having wavy borders.
              Vonnie

Comment

Thank you ncmphoy - now that makes sense to me - and I don't have to go nuts with math trying to figure it out! Also by pinning first, I should know before sewing if I'm safe with the seam placement or if it needs adjustment. Thanks a bunch! Now to master how to do the miter.

"B"

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                  You can always do a fake miter by place half square triangles on the corners. I have done this before. After it's quilted no one will be the wiser. You are going to have enough problems trying to keep from having wavy borders.
                  Thanks Vonnie, half square triangle, huh? Gonna 'google' that to see how to do it. Yes, I've been a bit worried about the 'pieced border' since it's made of the same T-shirt material as the quilt . . . I used light t-shirt interfacing fused in both directions in hopes of diminishing the ruffling - we shall see!?!?!?

"B"

Comment

Vonnie, that's a brilliant idea! Wish I'd thought of it before. Will be using that one.
                    sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

Bags are welcome on the forum, too. Miss you and your great posts!
                      Bev

Comment

Originally posted by Bjvarizona View Post
                        Hey Bev - I was looking for you on here! Hope everything is well with you. Per my orig post, my DGD and I are working on a t-shirt quilt for her. It's been going pretty good and I'm just about ready to put the 'scrappy border on after deciding how I can accomplish mitered corners in the border - wish me well . . .

"B"

Comment

Originally posted by Bjvarizona View Post
                          Helloooo Bev - looking for you - when you check back in, give me a 'hello' -

. . . . good to be back and 'picking up where I left off. Making progress on my DGD's t-shirt quilt. Trying to figure out how I can use 'from my stash' to make the back of the quilt . . . have a few discarded shirts from her dad, may try to make a 'patchwork' back with them with some excess t-shirt mtl as fill-in. Has anyone ever done anything like that?

"B"

Comment

Working...
                          X