Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help with this sashing before I hurt myself!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need some help with this sashing before I hurt myself!

Oh! It is a pretty quilt!

All good advice, although some is in opposition to others! That is not unusual as we do some things differently.

I like the ideas of: 1) measuring your strips to the length or width at the middle of the quilt top; 2) pinning the sashing starting at the middle and going out to each end, 3) sew with the sashing on top of the quilt top.

I do like the idea of sewing from the middle out, but then you would have to sew part with the sashing on top, and part with the sashing on the bottom. I think your sashing was stretched from being on the bottom, and that is the cause of the problem.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

#1 rule for fixing quilting problems: relax

There is no faster way to get nowhere than being so frustrated. Work on something small, fun, and easy, then come back to this. Sometimes I find it takes a few days, sometimes just a few minutes. Somewhere in there, the lightbulb goes on over my head and things sort themselves out. Sometimes we try to fix too much at once, and change so many variables that we just can't figure out what the solution is.

Are you perhaps unconsciously pulling on that strip as you sew it, in an effort to get it to lie flat? Or pulling the quilt top to match it up? If some of those outer triangles have a bias edge, they're going to stretch when you pull and suck in more border fabric and possibly shrink back into shape when you press.

Kind of like with FMQ, if we tense up the stitches just get uneven and curves turn into jagged horrors - relax and it flows again.

Comment

I've never seen any advice here to check the grain of the fabric. Garment sewers are told to since we cut longer pieces. We've had that problem time and time again of things not laying flat.

Even expensive fabric can be off grain, but still within good tolerances for shorter piecing.

If I have doubts, I rip off the selvedge and go from there as it will rip with the grain.

Comment

Originally posted by pheestand View Post
          I had the strip on the bottom and the quilt on the top so I could make sure the seams stayed open as it passed under the presser foot and not against the feed dogs. I will flip it over once I remove it and try again. And more pins! :-)
          Before you said it, I gussed you tried to sew with the quilt top on top and the strip on the bottom. Now you know that without a walking foot, that's what you'll get, as the bottom piece tends to go through the machine a bit quicker than the top piece.
          I rarely do pressed open seams. I press to the dark side, but then I stitch in the ditch to quilt, and I want to be sewing on the fabric when I do.
          However, this can be done with the narrower piece on the top still. You'll just have to go slow and feel the seems as they reach the flat bed of the machine, so insure they will be sewn on the way you want them to lay.
          Occasionaly I will have an intersecting seam sneak through in the wrong direction. When that happens, I remove just those stitches, press the seam the way I want it to go, incert a pin so I know where to re-sew, and then resew those few inches. As a person with 18 vintage machines, one of them dating to late 1800's, it's hard to imagine any machine that doesn't back stitch [even my 1937 FW does] , but if you have one, start re-sewing the seam where you are making this correction with tiny or short stitches to lock in the thread ends, then move your stitch length up to your ususal 12 or so stitches per inch setting. sew past where you want to stop about an inch, and again many some tiny stitches before stopping.
          Finally, if I have to rip and re-sew more than twice, I just re-cut a new piece, as the resewn one tends to be a bit out of shape by then. I don't know if your fabric budget allows for this, but I would try a new freshly cut strip if you can.

You have done a very nice quilt so far! I think you'll get this!
          Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Well, all that being said, I think the quilt is perfect and I think you should just plunge ahead and finish the quilt. You will be happy, people will oooh and ahhh and you will have all this room for improvement and in 30 years, you'll look back at that quilt and say...you know...my quilts are better now, but that was a really good second quilt. DOn't worry.
            success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
            Terry of NC

Comment

All your responses have been definitely provided many suggestions to solve my issue! Unfortunately I haven't had time this weekend to put them to work; too much outdoor lawn work taking priority. Will definitely be back at it on Tuesday, I really want to finish it off in time to give to my sister for Christmas! I will keep you posted as to how it comes out from here.

Comment

20161120_232917- crop.jpg

20161121_010836 - crop.jpg

We have success! I used a combination of all the help offered previously. First, I obviously removed the tan lattice. I re-ironed with some spray starch and nipped the frayed strings that occured when removing them from the quilt. Then I lightly starched the edges of the quilt and hand basted them together. When I sewed them together, I put the quilt top on the bottom and with the tan lattice on the top. I removed the basting and pressed. SO happy to be moving forward again with this project! <3
                Attached Files

Comment

Glad it worked out for you! Looks terrific!
                  Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by seaturtle View Post
                    Glad it worked out for you! Looks terrific!
                    This is my second quilt EVER, so I was so stressing about it! Appreciate your kind words.

Comment

Wow! That just worked out beautifully!

Comment

[QUOTE=pheestand;919235]quilt.jpg
                        Your quilt is beautiful! Once you get the both borders on and get the quilt quilted it should lie flat. To sew the one inch strip border onto the quilt I would place it on top when sewing.
                        LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

Just a quick update. I found a local shop with a beam quilting machine and took my lattice quilt top to them Tuesday. It will be done and in my hands on Dec 17th, in time for Christmas. Can't wait to see the finished product! We went with a washable wool batting with a medium loft so it will be nice and warm because she's always cold in the winter. They had a selection of 108" wide fabrics, so I selected one, with a medium blue thread and a fairly meandering stitch pattern. Thank you all again for all your help and support!

Comment

lattice quilt finished.jpg

IT'S DONE!!!!

Thank you all again!!!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

That is stunning! I can't believe it's your second quilt ever. Your points look downright professional. Thanks for sharing the finished product with us. Someone is going to be very, very happy opening that up on Christmas Day!
                                Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Working...
                                X