• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muriel
    replied
    Re: 100% Bias binding

Originally posted by liz72703 View Post
    Not sure which pattern Muriel is using but I've made this one and it turned out great:

http://weallsew.com/fabric-tortilla-warmer/
    Yes this is the pattern I am using.

Leave a comment:

• liz72703
    replied

Not sure which pattern Muriel is using but I've made this one and it turned out great:

http://weallsew.com/fabric-tortilla-warmer/

Leave a comment:

• ncmphoy
    replied

Make sure you use 100% cotton thread too! I made hotmats last year and made my tester with a poly blend and it scorched.

Leave a comment:

• pjyoder414@yahoo.com
    replied

Hi Muriel,

What a great idea as my family and I love Mexican food. Would you care to share the pattern?

Also thank you everyone for your answers, I never would of thought of polyester melting, even though I know it is plastic,
    must be an age thing me, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied

Originally posted by Muriel View Post
    Thank you all for your quick replies. I agree with you all but I so didn't want to make my own. LOL
    Just cut it, but you don't need to fold and press it. If you are binding a round piece, just lay it edge to edge and sew it to the object, stretching it a bit. It will naturally curl over the edge and be easy to sew down the edge that you top stitch or hand stitch. Or you can use one of those Clover binding makers. They work great to make bias binding by just pulling your fabric through and pressing it as you pull it out. I'll post a picture of one, you buy different sizes depending on what size binding you want to work with.

image.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Muriel
    replied

Thank you all for your quick replies. I agree with you all but I so didn't want to make my own. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied

It is pretty easy to bind with your own bias binding. Besides, your cotton fabric is more durable than purchased bias binding.

Leave a comment:

• Caroline T.
    replied

Everything I've read so far says NO!

Polyester is a plastic, and could melt (and stink).

If you want to give it a try, I would recommend before binding your project, take a piece of the binding material, put it on a paper plate and place in the microwave, set the timer for the length of time you suspect the tortillas to be in there and watch it carefully (you may want to stop the microwave before the time is up). If the material looks ok, then allow the material to cool, and then feel it. Does it still feel OK?

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

Polyester tends to melt or catch fire in the microwave. Thats why it says all cotton.

Leave a comment:

• Muriel
    started a topic 100% Bias binding

100% Bias binding

I am making some tortilla warmers. The pattern calls for 100% cotton as it will be used in the microwave.
    I can only find bias in a mixture of polyester and cotton. Do you think that will work. I know I could make my own but...... thanks
Working...
X