Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever used a color for your quilt top design? Especially on white?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever used a color for your quilt top design? Especially on white?

I recently completed the Courthouse Steps Quilt that is in the last issue of Block Magazine in Christmas fabric. The person who taught me how to long arm quilt recently, suggested maybe using green thread to do the quilting, but I think it might be a bit much considering there is so much white on the quilt top. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Has anyone ever used a color for your quilt top design? Especially on white?

I'' not a longarner...and the quilting I do is very simple, so I'' probably not the person to ask.... But... Maybe you could add yourself how much you want the quilting to show...... maybe lay strands of the green over the quilt, and see how it looks...

I think it all comes down to how you want your quilt to look, and what aspects of it you want to emphasize...

Wishing you luck...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Re: Has anyone ever used a color for your quilt top design? Especially on white?

I agree with Easyquilts. I know when I take my tops to the longarmer she pulls out different spools and unwinds a long piece of thread then lays it over the quilt to see if I like how it looks. Of course I always do but I am always surprised how laying the thread on the actual top seems to look different than the thread looks on the spool. I hope that makes sense and isn't too confusing.
      :icon_happy: Don't worry, be scrappy!

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that.

Comment

I have quilted my last 2 or 3 with a golden/greeny/tan color and really liked it, they were Fall and Christmas colors with a cream rather than white background.

Comment

I'll try that, but I've looked at all those done in the Block Magazine and particularly this one that I've done just like one they quilted, and it was done with white or off-white. I'm just afraid that since this will only be my second attempt at long arm quilting myself, the colored thread might tend to show any "oops" easier. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

I bet that is pretty! Thanks for the help. The white in mine is not stark white, but more of a snow white (just a touch of cream).

Comment

I just took a FMQ class this past weekend offered by my quilt guild. The instructor said you should always pull a good amount of thread from the spool and puddle it on the quilt so that it hits background, different colors, etc. - do not just lay a somewhat short length of thread over the quilt. I would try this out with a couple of different threads and see how they all look, then make your decision.

Comment

Great idea. Thanks.

Comment

I have to ask. What is a FMQ class?

Comment

I have recently started using pantographs.
                      https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.4ab7E0dropo

I just recently quilted a rose quilt using a bright yellow thread and a dragonfly meander pantograph
                      https://www.urbanelementz.com/quilti...dragonfly.html
                      (I did not buy from the above business but that is the pantograph I used)
                      Turned out very nice.

I also have a tie dye variegated thread that I like to use on kids quilts.

Try a practice quilt first. Maybe put an old sheet on your frame and practice on it.
                      Vonnie

Comment

you can find a lot of tutorials on youtube on fmq (free motion quilting)
                        the best ones are Angela Walters and the APQS tutorials.
                        Vonnie

Comment

I am going to use a pantograph on this one for sure. I love the one you have with dragonflies! That's my "thing". I have lots of dragonfly jewelry. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Oh, free motion quilting - I'm a dummy. I would love to learn how to do FMQ on my home machine, but I'm scared to try. Just don't know you keep from getting everything bumpy or crooked. The lady I learned about the long arm last week has such an easy way to get the backing, batting and fabric all on the machine. Her zipper method makes it so fast and easy. I've been piecing for quite a while, but always take mine to someone else to quilt. So now, I just rent her long arm and do them myself. My first one only took me 2.5 hours, so I thought that was pretty good.

Comment

You are welcome!

Some youtube tutorials you should watch:
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0p...2DSwn8Se32TnNQ
                              https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+for+beginners

A good way to practice free motion quilting is to draw it. I like using a dry erase board and while watching TV I practice drawing the designs.
                              Also, go to the hardware store and buy some 1/8" thick plexiglass. I bought an 18" X 24" plexiglass and put duct tape around the edges. Then lay it on the quilt top and using a dry erase marker practice the design you want and see how it looks.
                              My son suggested to me that when I practice with the dry erase marker, that I hold it like I hold the handle on the longarm and practice drawing without lifting the marker up.
                              Vonnie

Comment

Working...
                              X