Pins!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pins!!

This applies more to garment sewing, but could also apply to quilting.

I have glass headed quilting pins, flower pins, and some pins that look like they have a button for the head. The glass pins are the more expensive ones.

None of these dratted pins wants to go through batiste and batik! I'm trying to put narrow double fold binding on tulip sleeves and none of them want to poke through either.

What is the matter with the points? Batiste, while mine is a poly blend is not a heavy fabric. Batiks, I'm not sure about.
    I wanted 1/4" finished binding, however, I can cut bigger.

I can't find my shorter pins.

BTW - these pins also won't do knits, either Tshirt or sweatshirt! I don't use polar fleece or its ilk if I can help it.

Re: Pins!!

You want silk pins for that. Finer shaft and much sharper point.

Comment

Shirley's right. Silk pins! They're very fine and sharp.

When I was a kid, my mom only had one kind of pin. Took me a long time of sewing to learn the differences. You may find this article interesting:
      http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...rpose/page/all

Comment

You can also use wonder clips. I rarely use my pins any more
        Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
          You want silk pins for that. Finer shaft and much sharper point.
          Originally posted by Sharyn J View Post
          Shirley's right. Silk pins! They're very fine and sharp.

When I was a kid, my mom only had one kind of pin. Took me a long time of sewing to learn the differences. You may find this article interesting:
          http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...rpose/page/all
          How interesting. I've sewn all my life and never heard of silk pins. No wonder the pirate talk came out when I was making both my dd's prom dresses!

Thanks for the article!
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I had some silk pins in a blue can. I tried them on a flower girl's dress (satin) and they left dark grey marks wherever they were used. I gave them away.

I found my short glass head pins.

The long pins seem to be really sharp. Batiste isn't heavy or thick. Sweatshirt fleece and T Shirt knit are fairly open.

Why don't the long pins go through those fabrics?
            Last edited by Alpha O; November 5, 2016, 05:36 PM.

Comment

That's strange about your silk pins. I have had some for years and they have never left marks on anything. They are delicate and bend easy. Did your silk pins have glass heads? Mine do.
              Vonnie

Comment

I bought some "silk" pins from M*QC a couple of years ago. I have used them for everything and they have never left a mark. At this time, there are a lot of them holding up the hems of three flower girl dresses (white satin) and a junior bridesmaid dress (burgundy satin) - not a mark on them. Love, love these pins. I believe they were from Clover.

Comment

These were Iris pins and I had bought them for heirloom sewing 20 years ago. Never used them until that dress.

Now I don't really want them. I have lost some feeling in fingertips and glass head pins are easier to grab.

Comment

Learn something new every day. Never heard of silk pins. I use the quilting pins with the yellow balls on the end. They're easier to grasp. I haven't had any problems poking them through batiks.

Comment

Maybe the silk pins in the can became coated with oxidation from the can, as it sat for a long time. Either the pins or the can may have been aluminum. I would think you could wipe them clean. But that would be a lot of trouble, especially if you are losing feeling in your fingers and have a hard time grasping the pins. I have that problem, too, even with the big clumsy dull pointed pins. And no way can I feel the thread, unless it is being pulled.

Comment

That's all great about silk pins, but no one has yet explained why the quilting pins don't work. They are certainly sharp enough if you stick yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
                          Maybe the silk pins in the can became coated with oxidation from the can, as it sat for a long time. Either the pins or the can may have been aluminum. I would think you could wipe them clean. But that would be a lot of trouble, especially if you are losing feeling in your fingers and have a hard time grasping the pins. I have that problem, too, even with the big clumsy dull pointed pins. And no way can I feel the thread, unless it is being pulled.
                          There should be some recognition that people DO have the problem and not be so quick to recommend the standard product when it doesn't help us. That includes mfg and designers.
                          Right now I'm torqued about a cat food can I can't pull the tab on. I have to use pliers!

I gave the silk pins away. The person I gave them to said they might have been coated to prevent oxidation. She's had to clean some brands.
                          It was that coating that came off.

I do prefer glass headed pins that won't melt if you accidentally hit them with an iron. THIS IS FOR GARMENT SEWING!

I'm working on another night gown for kid. Quite a few years worth and all have been different. Same pattern, different techniques.
                          Last edited by Alpha O; November 6, 2016, 08:07 AM.

Comment

There are different pins for different uses, just like there are different needles such as yellow ball for knits. For most garment sewing, silk pins (garment pins) which come with or without glass heads are much sharper than other pins such as basic glass head or flower head pins. It may feel the same when you prick your finger, but there really is a difference in sharpness. The reason for needing a sharper point is the weave or type of the fabric used. Most quilting fabrics are sort of loosely woven and made of cotton, which is pretty forgiving in terms of pins. But silks, batiks, satins, etc are much less forgiving and are more closely woven and need a pin that is super sharp that will go through easier as well and not snagging a thread and ruining the fabric. So if you don't want to fight with pushing your pins through batiks, then silk pins are the way to go.

Knits need ball point pins and needles.

This article may help a little: https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/09...f-sewing-pins/

Comment

Originally posted by RiverMomm View Post
                              There are different pins for different uses, just like there are different needles such as yellow ball for knits. For most garment sewing, silk pins (garment pins) which come with or without glass heads are much sharper than other pins such as basic glass head or flower head pins. It may feel the same when you prick your finger, but there really is a difference in sharpness. The reason for needing a sharper point is the weave or type of the fabric used. Most quilting fabrics are sort of loosely woven and made of cotton, which is pretty forgiving in terms of pins. But silks, batiks, satins, etc are much less forgiving and are more closely woven and need a pin that is super sharp that will go through easier as well and not snagging a thread and ruining the fabric. So if you don't want to fight with pushing your pins through batiks, then silk pins are the way to go.

Knits need ball point pins and needles.

This article may help a little: https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/09...f-sewing-pins/
                              I was just going to post that! It's a great article.
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X