need suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need suggestions

I liked making these blocks(?Garlic Knots?), but now that they are on my display wall(aka flannel-backed tablecloth), I think there is too much of the background color. What do you think?
    I am open to suggestions about how I can brighten it. I have tried all the different layouts but none appeal to me.

Last edited by sew-what2015; November 3, 2016, 08:46 AM.

Re: need suggestions

How about a very, very narrow sashing using one of the colors from the quilt?

Comment

Did you ever lay them out with all of them going the same direction? Garlic knots make me think of bread.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Snowball the corners of each block - it will create some interest and break up the background
        Preeti
        http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
          Did you ever lay them out with all of them going the same direction? Garlic knots make me think of bread.
          Yes..tried that...took a photo of it but when I checked my photos, that one was too dark (camera troubles)

Comment

Originally posted by Preeti View Post
            Snowball the corners of each block - it will create some interest and break up the background
            That's an interesting idea but seems like too much trouble to do at this time.
            Maybe I will put them aside and try snowballing them sometime in the future.
            I did try using the white dotted fabric ..the one that is in the center of the knot...as a sashing but didn't like it.

Comment

What about trying a black sashing?
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I think sashing would ruin the vertical wave effect you have going on. Are you putting a border on it? Maybe a double border, the first one being really narrow and in a bright color, then the outer wider border in maybe a narrow horizontal black and white stripe.or blue and white (like pillow ticking) since it looks like the background of your blocks is blue.

Comment

What about the layout that makes 4 of them into a sorta circle? Love your fun colors!
                  Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

I like it just as it is!
                    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

The colored or positive portion of your block consists of 8 squares The negative portion also consists of 8 dark blue squares, so exactly balanced. However because of the way the blocks are offset in some of your layouts when the blocks come together your eye now perceives that there are 10 dark blue squares in the center. This may be why you perceive the quilt as unbalanced.

I fear that adding sashing will only increase the linearity of the quilt and it will be perceived as even more unbalanced.

The easiest way to compensate and get balance back is with the quilting. Here is an example of how you can use quilting to balance out the quilt.

http://theinboxjaunt.com/2016/11/03/autumn-pop-quilt/
                      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I was thinking maybe snowball where the four blue squares come together, making colored squares on a plane between the other colored squares. It would break up the blue area.

Comment

I like it as is in the first layout

Comment

How about sashing in the same background color with cornerstones in one of the other colors?
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by ilive2craft2 View Post
                              What about the layout that makes 4 of them into a sorta circle? Love your fun colors!
                              I like this idea. And then snowball the outer corners of the 4 blocks that make up the circle.

Comment

Working...
                              X